• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign v.16 update screwed my menus

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to InDesign v.16 yesterday and now I can't get the menus to stay open long enough to select them. They flash open or drop down then disappear. Simple commands with ctrl+c, j, p, y etc simply don't work at all. Help! 

OS is Windows 10.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a major update, often restoring your InDesign preferences can help:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. I have already tried the refreshing the preferences, and no go, but will try the other 2 steps in your suggestion. Will let you know! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - still no luck. Am running out of options here. Tried disabling start-up processes but still nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you keep the previous version of InDesign, always advisable when upgrading?

Try uninstalling InDesign, using the drop down-down menu is the Creative Cloud app and reinstalling it again. If that doesn't help uninstall it again and run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek ,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. - yes, I kept the previous version and tried using that but same problem. I suspect it could be the Windows 10 October 2020 update which was a major one. Does not affect any of the other CC apps that I have tried. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same issue, it also happens on Illustrator, but not on Photoshop. Using ctrl, alt, or shift does change the functionality of the mouse, but commands don't work. Typing in a textfield also doesn't appear. Tried reinstalling, tried rebooting, tried previous versions, tried restoring preferences. The cursor als has the spinning "processing" circle next to it constantly blinking in and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - this is exactly my problem. Are you on Windows 10 and did you get the latest update to that? I have a feeling that this has happened before and I found a fix to it but can't for the life of me remember how or what!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm on windows 10, but only noticed the issue today, as all my CC updated. I think the windows update was also one of these days (I am on the latest update in any case), but I'm not sure which one caused the issue. I feel it was CC updating, but it might have come from them both together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I contacted support, but after going through the options I had mostly gone through myself no solution was found. I tried some things again today, and tried reinstalling it to my C: disk, in stead of the D: disk where I had set my adobe software to. Problem, apparently, solved. I hope this might work for you as well, if you haven't found a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - that's so interesting. I am fascinated that Adobe support couldn't nail it. I will try your solution as roll-backs and other manoeuvres have had no effect and am getting desperate. Many thanks and will let you know. Cheers! 0h, PS did you use adobe cleaner before reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted them (including their saved preferences), changed the preferred installation location to C:\Prgram Files\Adobe within Creative Cloud and installed them again. All I can think of is that the difference in disks is what did it, I think CC was still on my C while the software was on D, but that was never a problem before. Or it is because one is HDD and the other SSD, but still, only became a problem 2 days ago. I should still get a call back from someone else from support, but for now at least the issue is resolved for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah boy. Still no better despite uninstalling, adobe cleaning tool, reinstalling, and trying every tweak and twist that have been suggested by helpful users. Nothing. The cursor still flickers with the blue circle, and the menu items flash and disappear. It seems to be trying to access something and I wonder if there is a connection problem with CC? I also reinstalled CC and have rolled back Windows updates. All to absolutely no avail.  Has no-one else got the same problem, really???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck after every attempt. Thanks for all your kind suggestions but nothing has worked. Adobe support are ringing this morning to see what they can do. It really is weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Success!!!!! At last, and almost a month since I reported this problem and no end of help from various quarters as to how to fix it - all to no avail. Finally after a long session of remote help from a 3rd Adobe technician/agent plus an engineer from Adobe, it has been solved. For those of you who have not encountered this weird behaviour before, and in case someone gets this in the future,  it is all to do with installing in the wrong place. Indesign had been redirected to install on a different drive (mine is partitioned) some while ago, but it was only after a few updates that the fault showed. I have no idea how the installation came to be installed on the other drive - but the agent (it was incredibly difficult to hear him as the connection was appallingly bad) said it was something they had seen a long while back (perhaps years?) and perhaps no-one had seen it recently. So I don't really understand the solution except to say to anyone facing this problem, check where your program is installed. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines