• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign V16 Small size PDF files are huge???

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to output a 16 page brochure, low res pdf to email to a client for a visual  - smallest the file will go is 270mb

I've never had this problem since before the new update. This amongst other issues is really hampering my workflow and costing me money.

The lesson to be learnt here is don't update staright away - losing my faith in adobe!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

FWIW, there is no significant difference in the code in InDesign 16 versus InDesign 15 in terms of PDF export.

Are differences in PDF export file size strictly due to going from InDesign 15.x to 16 with the same exact InDesign document, placed images, and export options? Or do we have multiple variables here?

Generally speaking, unless you have some very specific needs that rely on layers from PSD files, you are generally much better off using other formats for placement of Photoshop output

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which PDF preset are you using when exporting the PDF file? Your document must be very image heavy but still you should be able to get it smaller than that I would think. I'd use the Smallest File Size Preset to start. If need be, you can create a custom preset that drops the image resolution lower as that is always the bulk of the size in a PDF file. You could also try opening the PDF in Acrobat and saving as an Optimized or Reduced Size PDF to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using the smallest file size preset as I usually do. I have flattened all the psds but still the file is huge once outputted

No idea whats going on with indesign today 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just ran a test 

I deleted each graphic from the indesign file and saved as i went to try and determine what the problem files are.

It doesnt seem to be dealing with the psd files? I ended up with a single page with 2 psd files a few mg in size for each graphic. When i convert to a "smallest file size" pdf the actually pdf is bigger in file size the the 2 psd files combined?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can confirm that it seems to be an issue with importing the psd files in to photoshop.

I dont recall ever have this issue before. I have become used to importing psd file to maintain the transparent backgorund but this not seems to greatly effect the overall file size???

Any opinion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW, there is no significant difference in the code in InDesign 16 versus InDesign 15 in terms of PDF export.

Are differences in PDF export file size strictly due to going from InDesign 15.x to 16 with the same exact InDesign document, placed images, and export options? Or do we have multiple variables here?

Generally speaking, unless you have some very specific needs that rely on layers from PSD files, you are generally much better off using other formats for placement of Photoshop output into InDesign. If your Photoshop content is strictly photographic raster images, ZIP-compressed ICC color managed TIFF is generally optimal avoiding multiple downsamplings and lossiness. If your Photoshop content contains live text and/or vector content, save as PDF/X-4 out of Photoshop (again using ZIP-compression) and place that into InDesign (this method maintains text as text and vector as vector from Photoshop when at all possible).

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines