Highlighted

InDesign won't export single pages to spreads as a PDF

Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an InDesign booklet consisting of 20 single pages but would like to export it as spreads, I select Spreads in the PDF export option but when it then opens the exported PDF it is still single pages, am I missing an option to tick on or off, or could it be a bug, I just cant seem to get it to export the PDF as Spreads? (I do get some funny things happening in my 'Range' option box that looks a little funky but I'm not sure that that has anything to do with my issue). Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 11.42.35.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

Instead of exporting as spreads, you could use the Viewing Layout menu (seen in the middle right of the panel in your screenshot) to change the view to Facing Pages (or Facing Pages, Cover Page). This will cause the booklet to open in Acrobat as facing pages, but still be searchable as their own page numbers.

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign won't export single pages to spreads as a PDF

Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an InDesign booklet consisting of 20 single pages but would like to export it as spreads, I select Spreads in the PDF export option but when it then opens the exported PDF it is still single pages, am I missing an option to tick on or off, or could it be a bug, I just cant seem to get it to export the PDF as Spreads? (I do get some funny things happening in my 'Range' option box that looks a little funky but I'm not sure that that has anything to do with my issue). Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 11.42.35.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

Instead of exporting as spreads, you could use the Viewing Layout menu (seen in the middle right of the panel in your screenshot) to change the view to Facing Pages (or Facing Pages, Cover Page). This will cause the booklet to open in Acrobat as facing pages, but still be searchable as their own page numbers.

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before creating your PDF – In InDesign select File > Document Setup – tick Facing Pages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it, Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page) worked perfectly! Thanks so much, you're a star! Can I send my PDF to the printer with that setting selected and the printer still has them as single pages, or will I need to send him an additional version which shows as single pages? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

that's no bug. Your document consists of spreads with only one page each.

At the bottom of your Pages panel it says: "20 Pages in 20 Spreads".

Can you tell us more? Maybe there is a good reason for this?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to good information shared earlier, I'd request checking out this help article as well to know more about pages and spreads in InDesign.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines