Highlighted

Indesign won't start with no error message

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

Indesign won't start on my Windows 10 machine with no error messages popping up.

I tried installing versions 14 and 13 and tested them in Windows 8,7 and Vista compatibility modes. The result is the same: the program loading process initiates, checks modules etc, then it ends abruptly with no error message.

What can I do? Many thanks.

Here is the log from the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 12.1.0.56, time stamp: 0x58c988ec

Faulting module name: PlugPlugOwl.dll, version: 7.0.0.95, time stamp: 0x58b6f48b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000019d63

Faulting process id: 0x5364

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4820975d398a0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\PlugPlugOwl.dll

Report Id: 6d358c6a-ff4a-4b01-b103-9cf3e77fe681

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I had a very similar issue and Adobe let me know the following. The answer fit for the processor we were using. I think it's not just clock speed but model too. Older processors like the Celeron N2930 1.83GHz have the same issue.

"Unfortunately, the error you are seeing is caused by a conflict with your CPU. We are seeing this behavior with multiple processor models who's clock speed is 1.10GHz. We have a fix in the works which will be available in the next update, but we do not have a release date for this yet. Aside from operating with a different computer using a different CPU, we do not have any supported workarounds."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign won't start with no error message

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

Indesign won't start on my Windows 10 machine with no error messages popping up.

I tried installing versions 14 and 13 and tested them in Windows 8,7 and Vista compatibility modes. The result is the same: the program loading process initiates, checks modules etc, then it ends abruptly with no error message.

What can I do? Many thanks.

Here is the log from the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 12.1.0.56, time stamp: 0x58c988ec

Faulting module name: PlugPlugOwl.dll, version: 7.0.0.95, time stamp: 0x58b6f48b

Faulting process id: 0x5364

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4820975d398a0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\PlugPlugOwl.dll

Report Id: 6d358c6a-ff4a-4b01-b103-9cf3e77fe681

I had a very similar issue and Adobe let me know the following. The answer fit for the processor we were using. I think it's not just clock speed but model too. Older processors like the Celeron N2930 1.83GHz have the same issue.

"Unfortunately, the error you are seeing is caused by a conflict with your CPU. We are seeing this behavior with multiple processor models who's clock speed is 1.10GHz. We have a fix in the works which will be available in the next update, but we do not have a release date for this yet. Aside from operating with a different computer using a different CPU, we do not have any supported workarounds."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 21, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your InDesign Preferences, if that doesn’t work uninstall and reinstall the application using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Resetting preferences and reinstalling the app has not worked. Any other suggestions that you might have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have sufficient system requirements: InDesign system requirements

That you uninstalled InDesign using the drop down menu in the Creative Cloud App (see screen shot).

And you correctly reset your preferences then, uninstall InDesign again and run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling CC2019 / CC2019. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Screenshot 2018-11-22 at 09.29.03.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your hints.  I tried everything, i.e. uninstalling, running the CC Cleaner and reinstalling. After all of that Indesign failed to start again. My hardware is as follows:

Lenovo Ideapad 120S

• CPU Intel® Pentium® Processor N4200 (2M Cache, up to 2.5 GHz)
  • Memory 4GB LPDDR4 2400 ONBOARD
  • Hard Disk 128GB M.2 SATA SSD
  • Graphic Card Intel HD Graphics
  • Display 14.0" HD TN AG(SLIM)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it shouldn’t be crashing that machine is incredibly underpowered. I wouldn’t even attempt to use InDesign on it.

How much harddrive space do you have available?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you running them in compatibility mode? And why are you showing us an error from InDesign 12?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried running different versions of Indesign and used different compatibility settings. Nothing worked.

Below is the fresh crash report relating to CC 2019:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 14.0.1.209, time stamp: 0x5beb1679

Faulting module name: PlugPlugOwl.dll, version: 9.2.1.39, time stamp: 0x5b923bf4

Faulting process id: 0x2794

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4827349cb0d3b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2019\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2019\PlugPlugOwl.dll

Report Id: c5a0c38d-9b98-4818-bd4f-c35a4a7c08ab

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let’s try something. Create a new user account on your machine and try InDesign from there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timur,

We are extremely sorry about this frustrating experience. Please try installing CC 2018 and CC 2017 from Creative Cloud and let us know if that works?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing the exact same issue with InDesign.

Granted the hardware is low powered but we only need a couple of users to be able to update a couple of text fields and it's stopping us from purchasing additional subscriptions on our teams license. At the moment we're trying these PC's on trials and have tried 2018 and 2019 which both show the same issue.

We're trying to run it on an Intel NUC6CAYH which consists of:

Celeron J3455 1.5GHz

4GB DDR3L

128GB SSD

Intel HD Graphics

We're not expecting the software to run fast at all like our dedicated designer's PCs but it should launch seeing as it's well within Adobe's minimum system requirements of a Pentium 4 or better.

Other apps like Photoshop and Bridge launch and work fine.

We have tried this on a clean install of Windows 10 with all of the latest drivers and firmware from Intel with just Adobe CC and InDesign installed. This machine is off the domain with no group policies applied it's as stock Windows as you could possibly get with no changes to system settings.

We see the same results regardless of the Windows 10 versions we have tested. We have tested 1607, 1803 and 1809.

If we pull the SSD out, make no changes and connect it to an NUC7i5BNH which consists of:

i5 7260U 2.2GHz

16GB DDR4

Intel Iris Plus 640 Graphics

We see InDesign open immediately. This leads us to believe there is something incompatible with the hardware or drivers with the NUC6CAYH but we are unable to fathom it. We have tried various GPU driver versions but we always see the same result with InDesign not even launching and the same error being reported in the event log.

All of the general advice online about clearing cache and prefs makes no difference. It's a clean install on a clean system with 1 user account it shouldn't be that which is causing the issue. Not when we put it in a different system and it works straight away.

Here's the error from the Windows Event Viewer

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 14.0.1.209, time stamp: 0x5beb1679

Faulting module name: PlugPlugOwl.dll, version: 9.2.1.39, time stamp: 0x5b923bf4

Faulting process ID: 0x12a8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4960b764e2619

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2019\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2019\PlugPlugOwl.dll

Report ID: 8e273acb-b188-45a4-9225-2bb70c319561

Many Thanks

James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 0
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those machines aren't low powered; they're garbage. Suitable for maybe surfing the web and reading email but InDesign? No.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very helpful Bob, thanks!

As I stated in my original post these users aren't our designers they are only going to change a few text fields for the designers to help them out. We don't expect this to run amazing at all but the software should open without crashing. To prove this point I installed InDesign 2019 on the most garbage system I could find lying around. A Dell D800 laptop. This system doesn't even support NX/XD so it's life stopped with Windows 7. It sports:

Pentium M (Banias) 1.7GHz

2GB DDR-333

64GB PATA (IDE) SSD

32MB GeForce 4 4200 (installed with Windows XP drivers as there's no Windows 7 drivers)

InDesign 2019 installed, launched and worked, slowly as would definitely be expected, but surprising usable for simple things.

D800 InDesign 2019.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2018 0
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Home or Pro (I know it shouldn't make a difference). Just curious.

Any third party stuff installed? Malware/Anti-virus? Font managers?

Have you considered InCopy? Would be way cheaper and avoid any issues with the InDesign layouts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Enterprise. We normally run 2016 LTSB which is 1607 as we don't use any of the Windows 10 stuff at all in our business and most of it is VDI (we're installing this on the hardware though and not in VDI). We've tried that and regular Enterprise versions of 1803 and 1809 to rule out any issues with 2016 LTSB missing something as it's a bit old now, as well as the latest 2019 LTSC which is just 1809.

Clean installs straight from the MS ISO's then just the latest drivers from Intel and CC and InDesign. Nothing else installed at all. All our tests have been clean installs with a format of the SSD, no in-place upgrades.

I've also tried the latest BETA DCH v25.20.100.6448 graphics driver from Intel to see if that helps but no change. It isn't listed as compatible with this system but it installs and works so it was worth a go as the listed driver is older. I'm not convinced it's the graphics driver though as if force it to the Microsoft Basic Display Driver I still see the same error.

I've got our Design Dept. looking at InCopy as that launches fine on the system and definitely looks like a better choice for what we want to achieve.

I still find it bizarre it's just InDesign that won't launch whereas other Adobe apps work fine and putting the same drive in another machine results in InDesign launching. To me that seems to suggest its got to be something with the hardware or drivers that it doesn't like.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2019 1
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

Thanks for posting and letting us know. It's good to know it's not that we're getting our installs wrong and that it's an issue Adobe are aware of and are looking into a solution. We ended up going with Bob's suggestion of InCopy on single app subscriptions as this suits the needs of the users of these systems.

Cheers

James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

We are sorry to inform you that this is a known error with InDesign on Windows(with Old processors like the Celeron and Pentium between 1.2 to 1.6 GHz frequency). I would request if you can share your feedback and upvote this issue here: InDesign not opening after loading box – Adobe InDesign Feedback. Till the issue is fixed, we request you to use the previous working version(sometimes 2015). Please stay tuned for updates and thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see InDeisng 2015 version how to do i down load it now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't. Only 2019 and 2020 are available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue. I uninstalled yesterday and reinstalled today and Indesign won't open. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also keep getting this error and i have signed off and restarted a few times i still get the same error.

tracies844102_0-1586282427055.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new user account on the computer and running things from there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to sign in using a personal email address but it says 7 day trial. I still have the error at the bottome of creative cloud..error code 184. After InDesign was installed it still didn't open up on my computer... I have used InDesign on this computer before this is something new in the last 2 months.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So weird thing, I was able to use Indesign yesterday but today it won't open. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 0