• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign workspace window is off screen

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using InDesign at work with my laptop connected to my fancy new superwide monitor. Then I came home and tried to open the same files on my laptop without the superwide monitor. The workspace windows are apparently opening up offscreen where I can't see or grab them. I've tried changing the resolution, but can't go small enough to pull the windows into view. I've done a lot of searches on the topic but nothing seems to help or reset the windows and all the solutions provided are from at least a year ago. Any other suggestions?

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

My workspace was completely off the screen while using InDesign on my macbook pro. (It happened after disconnecting from a larger display monitor.)

I've been searching for an answer and this just worked for me  - In InDesign go to Window and make sure Application Frame is unchecked.  Once I did this the application window popped back in where I was able to resize it.

Hope this helps!

-amy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try maximizing the window:

• Mac: click the green circle in the top left
  • Windows: double click the title bar

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. There is no top bar with the colored circle to close or minimize. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been driving me nuts for weeks. Clicking the green circle worked perfectly. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh Barb, thank you. It's the "little" things that can drive us crazy. You rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not SEE THE GREEN BUTTON, because my workspace is off the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This advice is horrible because the little green circle is off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to grab the top of the workspace window and click-drag the window to the right until you can finally see the green circle on the screen.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work when, as described above, the top of the workspace window is entirely off the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably fixed the problem now, but I got around it by reducing the resolution of my screen, moving all the offending menus back to more suitable places (i.e. in the middle of the screen, away from the edges) and then pushed the resolution back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating when that happens. Try the following:

1. If you're on a Mac, make sure that InDesign's application window is fitted to your screen by clicking on the green "+" button in the upper left.

2. Reset your preferred workspace by clicking on the workspace button and selecting "Reset WorkspaceName". For example, if you're using the Essentials Workspace, select Reset Essentials.

3. If that still doesn't work, try resetting your monitor resolution to any setting, then changing it back to the current setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these optins worked for me. Resetting the workspace made the tool bars and such disappear, assumingly to the wherever the rest of inDesign is at

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screenshot of your desktop with InDesign as the active application so that we can get a better idea of what might be happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. chaning resolution, then changing back works perfectly on Mac Mini M1 running Illustrator 2021 Silicon Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David, the monitor resolution reset did the trick for me. I tried everyting else but wouldnt have thought to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kelwells: please provide a screenshot, along with your operating system and the version of InDesign that you are using.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workspace was completely off the screen while using InDesign on my macbook pro. (It happened after disconnecting from a larger display monitor.)

I've been searching for an answer and this just worked for me  - In InDesign go to Window and make sure Application Frame is unchecked.  Once I did this the application window popped back in where I was able to resize it.

Hope this helps!

-amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will remember this next time. I restarted the InDesign and that worked too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Amy! 🙂 x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you! That solved it immediately. You're my new favorite person. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!  I have resolved this issue (unplugging from my large work monitor & coming home to have "lost" indesign) by using the other methods here but I'd just worked myself into a true panic when I came upon your tip. It worked! You've saved me from going all the way back to the office to finish a deadline project this morning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that has ever worked for me (after many painful episodes). And it's so easy!!! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! i literally was trying to figure this out for so long and last minute i said let me google this, your answer is the ONLY one that worked!!! thank you for preventing me to restart my laptop!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works to get it back on screen, but then when you adjust it and put it back in the application frame, it goes right back off screen again.  Does anyone know a permanent fix for this, and not just a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The appication frame locks it into my monitor window (edge to edge, full frame) but when i click back out of it, my ind window is still missing the top part of the frame. (no green, red, yellow buttons to touch). I figured there was a simple key command or setting to re-center the window. Really cant believe that once a window sticks partially outside my laptop window i cant get it back. I have to go into prefs/display/arrangement and move to side-to-side to fix it. I currrently have it top-and-bottom because my external monitor sits above my laptop screen on my desk.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines