Index entries right justified with dots

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like my index entries to look like

Index1.............25

Index2.............35

I know i need to setup some paragraph styles, but i'm lost in the maze of options. Any pointers to a reference style would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Hi @cryptoref:

In the Generate Index dialog box, click the More Options button, remove the existing spaces and add a ^t to Entry Separators, After Topic. Then update the index. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, i've got my index style on the tabs to do leading dots and right justify. What i don't have happening is that the index generation uses tab instead of space between the entry and page number. How do i get that to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cryptoref:

In the Generate Index dialog box, click the More Options button, remove the existing spaces and add a ^t to Entry Separators, After Topic. Then update the index. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I see that when i tried that earlier, i didn't have my paragraph style setup correctly and that's why i didn't go back to that one. It looks like i need it to now:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that worked for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi cryptoref,

alternatively use ^y as entry separator if you want a RIGHT INDENT TAB special character.

Perhaps also add a small white space before and after that character. Maybe a THIN SPACE special character like that:

^<^y^<

That together with a GREP style in the applied paragraph style using an underline with dots could give you a result where the first dot does not start right after the number and does not end directly at the page number:

DotsUnderlineApplied-To-RIGHT-INDENT-TAB.PNG

The GREP pattern for the RIGHT INDENT TAB is:

~y

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines