• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index last name first

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm having trouble finding information about "adding all" in Index according to Last Name, First Name. For example, I have the name Henry Bedinger Lee (history book) that I want to index as "Lee, Henry Bedinger". I selected the name, clicked Shift + Option + Command + ] but it only indexed for the current page. How can I do this throughout the whole document without going through manually (500 pages)? (Indesign CC 14.0.3)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had to do any indexing for several years, so there may be better ways to do this than what I'm going to tell you, but this way will work.

If you select the name in your text, you can go to the Index pallet (Window>Type & Tables>Index), select the Reference radio button at the top and click the New Index Entry button at the bottom. This will bring up the New Page Reference window, and the name you had selected will be added to the first Topic Levels field. If you hit the Add All button, it will search through your document and index all of the instances where the name is spelled the same way. The index will sort the name by what's in the field, but you can edit the name in the field without changing how it looks in your body text. Just put it in with your preferred format, and it will sort and display in the index by the last name instead of the first.

I think it's pretty convenient to be able to use the keyboard shortcut and have it display the name as last, first in one click, but if there's a way to add all instances of that name with a shortcut, or by editing the entry to include all instances, I'm not sure what that is. There are a few work-arounds that you will probably figure out, but none of them are a one-click solution, so use the one that you think is the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines