• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index markers lost - can I get them back?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a Microsoft Word document into Indesign. Have done this before - know how to do it correctly. Included in the document were LOTS of index markers. They showed up fine when formatting character and paragraph styles for font (going to Garamond Premier Pro, regular and italics, and converting Microsoft styles into coherent paragraph styles). Then I decided to format the index - not a great deal to do, only adjusting font and tabs. The index markers disappeared. As soon as I noticed the loss, I reverted to last version of the file, but they are not there. I have not been able to recover the index markers. 

The original index (from Word) is still there, but I cannot generate or update an index, which must be done.

Any idea if I can recover the index markers? How? Or do I have to recreate them in Indesign? (This is three books, totalling about 1000 pages, so it would be a massive job.)

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @marr794 :

The index markers would only be visible in story editor—they are not visible in the layout view.  Did you check story editor view? And are they also missing from Window > Type & Tables > Index? I can't think of any reason why formatting the content would remove the index markers. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines