• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index markers not appearing in entire InDesign book (multiple documents)

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long book made up of many InDesign documents. I have indexed documents before, but never a book. I began indexing but the index markers are limited to the document and are not finding the same entry in other documents in the book. This means I will have an index for each document (chapter) not one for the entire book. Can anyone offer advice?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure about this detail. I'd suggest you test that with a minimum of two or three documents that contain index markers. The point where InDesign must open all documents ( at least internally ) is the point where you generate an index. You can do this at any time in your project to check the results.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the InDesign documents must be part of a saved InDesign book file.

And only then you can define an index where the scope is all documents of that book file.

For that have one document of that book file open, go to the Index panel and you'll be able to click the option [x] Book.

The name of the book file will be visible at the bottom of the panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make that more clear:

You have to open one document from the Book panel's menu. A double-click on one of the document names in the Book panel will do as well. What you should not do: Open the document with InDesign's File > Open… dialog.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.. Have the book panel open, one single document within the book open,
and the book box checked in the index panel. Now what happens to the index
markers already in the document I opened? Do I have to re-index the
document in order for those terms to be indexed throughout the other
documents of the book?

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. All already set index markers are valid. Also the ones you may have added in the other InDesign documents of the book file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much. So one last clarification. Do I need to have all the documents of the book open while indexing? Or can I open them one at a time, as I go, and still have the index markers from earlier documents appear in the later documents when I open them later to continue the index? (This is a very, very long book of genealogical tables--lots of names to index.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to have all of the documents open when adding the markers, but you will have to have all of them open while generating the index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure about this detail. I'd suggest you test that with a minimum of two or three documents that contain index markers. The point where InDesign must open all documents ( at least internally ) is the point where you generate an index. You can do this at any time in your project to check the results.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. This is a lot of help. John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines