• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indexing book seems to hang PC in v2018 onwards

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the 2017 version of indesign for ages due to its reliability to index a large book  (600 or so pages).

I just installed 2020 in the hope they had fixed the bug that seems to make the little blue wheel spin indefinitely in 2018 when trying to create the index, whereas in 2017 it can create an index in under 6 mins.

Has this ever been addressed to fix? I feel like as long as I am required to index a long book (or just about any book) I am stuck in 2017. Does anyone else have this problem at all? Are there any workarounds that I am unaware of? And what happened originally in 2018 to bugger it all up? Any information appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Ok - here's the first thing I'd do.

Create a new book file - and reimport the files. 

See if that clears it up.

If not - then create another new book file - and load half the documents.

Try create an index.

If it works ok

Create a new book file - and load the other half of documents.

Try create an index.

If you get a spinning wheel and delay in either - you know there's something in those that is causing an issue.

Keep dividing the documents by half until you narrow down a problem file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 2017 works ok why change?

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-version-control.html

There really isn't enough info to help you further - OS, RAM, etc. 

What have you tried to remedy the situation already? 

Have you looked on InDesign User Voice for similar issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

As with any piece of software, the updated versions supply new functionality that old versions do not.

Sometimes, it would be nice to be able to use the newer version without having other versions to have to fall back on.

I am on a windows 10 PC, 32Gig Ram and lots of HD space.

So far despite searching community forums, no remedies have been offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had your experience. That's not to say that you're not, of course.

I can offer some things to check though, that may help narrow down the problem:

1. Is the 600-page book one InDesign document? Or is it several documents compiled through InDesign's book function?
  2. If your book is compiled from several InDesign documents, can you generate an index from just one document? How about a couple? Or half the book? If you can generate half the book, what happens when you try to generate the index for the other half?
  3. Is the book updated and run with new/different content? Or are you just re-running the same book on a periodic basis, with no changes from the previous version?
  4. I know you said the index runs fine in the old version of InDesign (CC2017). Are you running the index for the exact same file for bothversions? If so, are you saving/updating the file for the newer versions, or are you just opening the file you used with CC four years ago and then just letting the indexing rip?

Please let us know answers to these questions, and we'll do our best to help you vector in on the causes — and hopefully solutions — for your issues.

We're here to help,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy,

1. The 600 page book is an indesign book comprised of about 14 documents.

2. When I tried to generate any type of index, be it from 1 document or the whole book, I just got the spinny blue waiting wheel that never went away.

3. Occasionally I need to make a editing tweak or index page adjustment - that's about all I ever go back into it for.

4. It's exactly the same book content that I ran in the 2017 version - no changes except InDesign wanting to convert all the files to the latest version first.

I hope that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - here's the first thing I'd do.

Create a new book file - and reimport the files. 

See if that clears it up.

If not - then create another new book file - and load half the documents.

Try create an index.

If it works ok

Create a new book file - and load the other half of documents.

Try create an index.

If you get a spinning wheel and delay in either - you know there's something in those that is causing an issue.

Keep dividing the documents by half until you narrow down a problem file. 

If there is no spinning wheel in either half of the document files - then at least we will know it's not the files themselves, or the book file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene,

I will try that and get back to you.

Kylie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

So I tried a brand new book and added the documents back in a few at a time and it all seems to work.

It must have been converting the book file into the newer format?

Unfortunately this new 2020 version seems to take over twice the time to do the index as the other one (7 mins vs 16 mins), and seems to have a big freeze /think at the end of an index (for about 5 mins) before you can do anything with it. But at least it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear. 

I'd still do the divide and conquer method to narrow down the problem file.

There's something causing the issue.

Try a test file - duplicate your project to a safe place or back up your original project.

Try half the files in a new book file and see if it's quick.

Then try the other half. 

It's purely an exercise to find the problem file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Eugene.

When I have a bit more time I will delve deeper - it's good to know it at least works now.

I will definitely try break it down further to find what is causing the delays.

Appreciate your time and help!

Kylie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines