Indexing chapter by chapter before book is complete

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am a newish indexer for a book that is currently being written. When the authors finish each chapter, they send it to me, and the expectation is that I will index each chapter as I receive it. I am a little worried about this approach. It seems like I will end up having tons of duplicate index tags on terms.

I'm worried I'm not making sense...I'm sorry. I guess what I mean is this: If I index chapter 1, and I tag the word "atmosphere," then I will have a list of page numbers in chapter, right? But then when I get and index chapter 2, I will tag all instances of "atmosphere"--only now, in addition to tagging all the "atmosphere"s in chapter 2, I will also re-tag all the instances in chapter 1. I've had this "double tagging" problem in the past, and the only way I found to fix it was to go through and manually remove the duplicate tags. So I'm concerned I will have to do that on a large scale in this book, when all the chapters are in. I would prefer to index once the book is complete, but just in case I don't have that option: is there a way to do it chapter by chapter without making too much extra work for myself? (If there is no real way to do it, that's also good to know. I can just tell the authors I'll need the whole book before I can start indexing.)

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021
Sure.   First,make sure you only have one index entry for each listing. This should preclude your duplicate problem straight away.Delete all your old indexes. If you're running indexes by the chapter, those all need to be removed before you run your final, overarching Index you generate for the entire book.Create a separate, discrete Index document. Place it at the end of the Indesign book file, preceded by your chapters and your FoB document (publisher's page, Table of Contents, dedication page...

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

• First,make sure you only have one index entry for each listing. This should preclude your duplicate problem straight away.
  • Delete all your old indexes. If you're running indexes by the chapter, those all need to be removed before you run your final, overarching Index you generate for the entire book.
  • Create a separate, discrete Index document. Place it at the end of the Indesign book file, preceded by your chapters and your FoB document (publisher's page, Table of Contents, dedication page, foreward, etc.).
  • Generate your index, making sure you select the Include Book Documents check box in the Generate Index dialog box.

This should generate you one index of all the chapters, with only one index marker for each index entry you create. Easy Peasy.

Hope this helps,

Randy

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a minor point to Randy's excellent advice, you can add chapters to your ID Book file as you get them. Then index them with the book-based index list. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, too!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh awesome--thank you so much!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines