Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indexing the index of a book

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a book that contains an index of case laws.

I need to index every apperance of a case law, which is found in the text (as a string), to a link of an external website.

I've been told that it is possible to do so comprehensively in Indesign.

Can you please guide me where do I find more information about it?

Thanks,

Meital

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found this link:

If you’ve got an Index prepared by a professional indexer, and you want to convert the page numbers in the index to interactive hyperlinks (for exporting to PDF or even ePUB) there’s out LiveIndex script:

http://www.id-extras.com/products/liveindex

There are more links to script on the site https://indesignsecrets.com/alternatives-indesign-indexing.php

I guess, you have to include a hyperlink into the index, see more about hyperlinks here:

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-interactive-pdfs-in-indesign-using-hyperlinks--v...

hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@teachbit: Thanks for mentioning our LiveIndex product, but in this case it won't do what Meital is asking. LiveIndex takes a pre-existing index that already has page numbers, and turns all those page numbers into live, internal links, so that when the user clicks on them they are taken to the appropriate page in the exported PDF or, for ePubs, they are taken to the text that was at the top of the page in the InDesign document (obviously ePubs don't have pages, so that's as close as it gets).

What Meital is asking for is a request I've heard a few times from publishers of legal texts. They want the case reference in the text to become clickable and take the reader to a separate online database of case law, or any other repository of law online.

There is no built-in feature in InDesign that can do this -- and there couldn't be when you consider how many possible variations of citations there are, and how many countries and languages in the world, each with their own legal system and online databases!

However, a custom solution (a script or add-on for InDesign) is definitely possible. Even then, the publisher would need to work hand-in-hand with the developer to make sure they've got all possible citation formats covered...

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines