• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inexplicable InDesign colour mismatch

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two objects in InDesign. When they are 'filled' with the same colour at 100% opacity they are the same. But when I make them both 30% opacity they are very different. What other variables could be controlling the colour please?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post examples or screenshots?

First thought would be there's a Effect applied.

Go to Window>Effects and select each individually to see if there's something different there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I've just posted more info + an image of the problem (in a reply to another helpful person)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the background behind that object?

Are other objects on the very same spread? What kind of objects if there are some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think this IS the problem.  The object with the colour difference is placed over another image.Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 13.20.31.png

Where the object lies over the image the colour is more 'fleshy'-coloured.  I want it to be the pinker colour (below in the image here).  How can I do this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transparency acts differently if it is over a [Paper] or white fill vs. an empty (transparent) page. 

Screen Shot 12.pngScreen Shot 11.png

If there is nothing below the 30% Opacity fills, consider setting the Fills’ Tints instead:

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your answer.  I did explore tints (not fully understanding what it does!).  In fact the problem seems to be that my object with the 'wrong' colour is miscoloured because it lies over another image (even though that image is white).  I've posted an image of my problem in a reply to another helpful person here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tint is simply a percentage of the fill color—its Opacity is 100%. Turn on Overprint Preview to see a soft proof of the output color—with Overprint Preview turned on, the transparency will preview the same over a [Paper] or [None] fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken two images of my problem - without (top image) and with (lower image) 'Overprint preview'.  The problem object is the flesh coloured box.  In its correct position it lies entirely over another image.  When it lies half over this image and half over nothing (lower image) the part not overlaying the second image is a pale pink color.  This is the colour I want but cannot get...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops forgot the images... here they areScreenshot 2021-07-01 at 15.13.56.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-01 at 15.13.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - the image with the pink colour is the one without 'overprint preview'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m not seeing why you have to use transparency—why not just mix a swatch or color to get what you want?

Screen Shot 15.pngScreen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines