• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert an Existing Text Box into a Existing Text Thread?

Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three text boxes on the same page each with text. Box 1 is flows (is threaded) into Box 2. Box 3 is a separate box with text but is not part of the thread. I want to insert Box 3 into the thread so that the text flows from Box 1 to Box 3 to Box 2. 

Is there a simple way to do this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Hi homeboy4,

split your story using a script.

Add the text frame to one of the two threaded stories.

Thread the last text frame of the one story to the first text frame of the other story.

For splitting the story at a particular text frame you could try Ariel's script BreakTextThread.jsx.

If you are on version 15.0.2.323 with InDesign you should find the script in your Scripts panel under folder Community.

Here step-by-step in screenshots from my German InDesign on Windows:

AddTextFrameToStory-Step-1.PNG

Let's preten

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the easiest way would be to cut the text out of box three and paste it in to box where it goes, resize the next box (was 3, now 2) and then thread the rest of the text into a new box 3 (containing the prior box 2 text)

(unless someone has a script or an action available to accomplish what you want)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workaround would work if I only, in fact, had three boxes. But my project is more complex, and I simplified it for this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi homeboy4,

split your story using a script.

Add the text frame to one of the two threaded stories.

Thread the last text frame of the one story to the first text frame of the other story.

For splitting the story at a particular text frame you could try Ariel's script BreakTextThread.jsx.

If you are on version 15.0.2.323 with InDesign you should find the script in your Scripts panel under folder Community.

Here step-by-step in screenshots from my German InDesign on Windows:

AddTextFrameToStory-Step-1.PNG

Let's pretend we want to add the text frame with the Magenta text after the selected text frame above. Run BreakTextThread.jsx with option After the Selected Frame.

Then thread the frame with the Magenta text to the previous selected frame:

AddTextFrameToStory-Step-2.PNG

Finally thread the frame with the Magenta text to the first frame of the other story:

AddTextFrameToStory-Step-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the scripts just split the two text boxes in question or all the text boxes in the thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See into my screenshot of Ariel's script. There are several options. The one that is visible will not split all text frames in a story. It will split just after the text frame that is selected.

Important: Before using a script save your document so that you can go back easily if something goes wrong.

More on the current Community scripts here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/scripting.html#community_scripts

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi homeboy4,

below a link to a more detailed description by the script author himself:

Break Text Thread: A Free InDesign Script
by Ariel | January 28, 2020

https://www.id-extras.com/break-text-thread/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines