Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert single page into document

Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to insert a single page into a document in InDesign. I want the first page of each chapter to be on the right side. When I tried to insert a page, it shows as a page missing from below. This is hard to explain so I am adding screen shots. I simple want to add one page and for the rest of the pages to move down with it. I already have it selected to "allow document pages to shuffle" and "allow selected spread to shuffle." The first screen shot shows what it currently looks like and the next one is after I dragged a page after the cover page and it is not working the way I want.

indesign help 1.png

indeisgn help 2.PNG

 

 

  

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page 1 is set up as Section Start, with page numbering set to start at 1. That numbering choice is what is forcing that page to be on the right. (in standard western page convention, which ID follows, odd-numbered pages are already on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's becuase you have a Section Start to start on Page 1. 

Page 1 will be a right hand page. 

The page on the left - this will be blank - it's effectively the back of your roman  numeral iii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I am a bit confused. I want the top page to be the cover page and the back to be blank. I then want the chapter to start on the right... How should I start the section so that I can be able to insert the extra blank page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or is it going to be in the correct order and it just appears that there is no page there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be correct - why not export a PDF and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a roman numeral 3 (iii) page. What do you want to happen to that page? 

If you want to start on an odd page in each section, each section needs to have an even number of pages. So the front matter cannot have three pages--it has to have two or four. You should be able to drag a blank page from the master just before page one and it should fill up the missing page gap.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually don't event want roman numerls on the beginning and am not sure how to take them off. I added the page at the beginning and it helped to fill the gap. I exported it to a pdf. But now that there is a blank page at the beginning that is not how I would like it to print out. Not sure what to do. I want the page to start where the flower is as the beginning of each chapter.

capture thurs.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the little triangles at the top of the page icons (I see two) and set them to automatic page numbering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. The numbers are all in order now but I do not want the cover page and page after it to be numbered. Also now the cover page is not where it should be right? Shouldn't it be at the very top page? I would like it be a cover page, blank page, then the start of the chapter which is what is page 4 in the picture. I am very new at this...

capture 2.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag the pages in the Pages panel in the order you want them to be in. You will want both Allow Document and Allow Pages to Shuffle on. 

Also, I see a triangle above page 5. If you don't need it, you should set it to automatic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great. I got it all set up. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines