• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert text into InDesign by way of linking to text in a separate document/text source

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can I insert selected text passages into an InDesign document by way of linking to text in a separate InDesign document?

What I need to be able to do is to draw text into my InDesign main document from an existing, different source/document in this way:

· I write my primary text passages in what I here call the text source document. This text must then be broken down into subsections of text according to its type of content -- e.g. an outline for 10 classes in history during spring term -- 

· today's theme

· today's goal in a nutshell 

· today's working groups

· each group's task

· today's time table

· teachers first 4 minutes' intro

· first group's presentation

etc etc

· Then I need to draw text from (some of) these subsections that I fill in for each of the 10 class sessions during spring term. However, my main document must remain the same and with the same layout and design, although the page appearence may vary from session to session, according to the varying lenght of text in each subsection.  I can also choose to leave out a subsection, then it will just not appear in the main document, or I can have a number of subsections that I only use on rare occations, eg. themes for maybe 2 tests held throughout the spring term.  Also, I can reserve subsections for collegues in the to read, which are not relevant for the students. 

· Finally, I need to be able to print out the final text from the main document in this case in two versions, one for the students and one for the collegues in the team and in such a way that the two documents will appear complete and accomplished as if the never were any other document than the one that the relevant recipient has before her on her computer screen, or in the form of a hard copy.

Yours, Mix

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

You might consider reading up on the helpfiles sections about:

Edit > Place and Link. This gives you one original to edit for many places it is used.

Window > Type and Tables > Conditional Text. This gives you the ability to make a student and teacher version of the publication.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might consider reading up on the helpfiles sections about:

Edit > Place and Link. This gives you one original to edit for many places it is used.

Window > Type and Tables > Conditional Text. This gives you the ability to make a student and teacher version of the publication.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines