Highlighted

Interactive invoice form calculations: Acrobat or InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once designed an invoice form for a car company in InDesign with interactive fields. It was later customized in Acrobat Pro with calculations, based on some javascript inside the fields themselves and also for the whole document.

Mostly calculating a sum for parts, a leasing rate based on a chosen period and stuff like auto-fill-out a date on first opening and autodelete a whole row of fields when deleting the first field with the article number.

Heres my question: Can i use all the scripting and interactiv fields also in the original file in InDesign or is something better done in Acrobat?

I'd like to avoid different programs and also i want to change the layout in InDesign because Acrobat makes a mess with text area. It automatically merges some texts and i did not understand why it does that.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Interactive invoice form calculations: Acrobat or InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once designed an invoice form for a car company in InDesign with interactive fields. It was later customized in Acrobat Pro with calculations, based on some javascript inside the fields themselves and also for the whole document.

Mostly calculating a sum for parts, a leasing rate based on a chosen period and stuff like auto-fill-out a date on first opening and autodelete a whole row of fields when deleting the first field with the article number.

Heres my question: Can i use all the scripting and interactiv fields also in the original file in InDesign or is something better done in Acrobat?

I'd like to avoid different programs and also i want to change the layout in InDesign because Acrobat makes a mess with text area. It automatically merges some texts and i did not understand why it does that.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has to be done in Acrobat

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a form with revised base art, but the fields and calculations will remain the same, then in Acrobat, you can use "Replace Page" function.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds interesting. I guess all the field names must stay the same then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method I described leaves the original form fields untouched. Names of fields, calculations, scripts, appearance, etc. will be retained. "Replace Page" only exchanges the static art portion of the form in the event of a revision.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0