Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF-file or SWF-file/product configurator

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For a client I'm creating a website. Part of this is a kind of 'product configurator', customers can choose the color composition of their product. The idea is to show this on the website. I took product photos and worked out all possible color combinations. So now I have to process this in the 'configurator'. I thought using InDesign was a good idea, with different pages with the different images on it. On the first page I created colored boxes with a link to the relevant page, exported to a SWF-file so it works technically. However, the problem is that there are 18 × 18 = 324 options. Problem: the file is becoming too large! So I need another solution. Who has tips how or with which program I can work out such a concept?

An example of what it have to look like you can find here.

Thanks for your answers .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is not a web design application. SWF is a dead!

Do it in WordPress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solution: work with HTML and css, you may use Dreamweaver or work with a web developer if you don't have the skills needed.

Indesign is not the tool for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is simple to achieve with a bit of javascript, html, and css coding, but a configurator can become quite complex, depending on the required scope and functionality. And the information must be saved on the server as well when ordering the product, which requires more coding.

As Bob already stated, InDesign is the wrong solution and tool for this.

An excellent high-level article about the UX design of product configurators:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/02/designing-a-perfect-responsive-configurator/

I looked at your configurator prototype, and I would suggest using 3d models to represent the bikes. This would tremendously save on file space, work, while having the option to present the bikes in actual 3d space. But I think this may be outside your comfort zone.

A code-free solution exists (Verge3D), but is a commercial product. They have a number of tutorials:

Do-it-yourself 3D product configurator - a quick-start guide

Making a practical 3D product configurator without a single line of code ​

Check with the client whether they have access to 3d models. Research indicates 3d model representations sell more products online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid any doubt: SWF is being killed, or at least Flash Player is being killed, which has much the same effect for most people. Some major browsers will have killed it before the end of this year. It will be gone completely next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remember what Bob and others say: Flash is DEAD, and it's not that far off:

https://fossbytes.com/rip-adobe-flash-death-date-31-dec-2020/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines