Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF from InDesign - rollover or popup from text anchor

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work on a scholarly journal and each article has between 30-100 end notes that I have run some scripts for to make them link back and forth between the text (superscript number) and the endnotes section (numbered list with full note information). I would like to take it one step further and create a popup window or a rollover containing the note information to appear in my PDF output when the user rolls over the referenced endnote in the text. Much like you would see in a Word document - as you're scrolling through and come across a note and a textbox appears with the note information or if you double click it it takes you to the endnotes section - looking to create that functionality but in my interactive PDF and (EPUB would also be nice) output.

Is this possible? Sounds like there could be some sort of script out there as these endnote references and note text are already anchored to eachother in the document. I don't want to have to manually create these for some 500 notes per edition if I don't have to.

I have not upgraded and am currently using CC2015 so I do not have InDesign's new endnotes function.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible, and there may be a script that can help you automate this.
What you must do is set the Accessibility "Alt Text" to the text you want to pop up. I know it can be done for Cross references and for hyperlinks, not sure about footnotes and end-notes-. There are scripts to convert footnotes to cross references (this was teh way to do end-notes before end notes were in InDesign). I think you can do in Acrobat also, but it will be more tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines