Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF not showing animations

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am making an interactive file in Indesign and adding animations/links/buttons etc to the file. When I export it to an interactive pdf and view it on Adobe Acrobat, the links work correctly but the animations no longer work. It becomes a static piece. However, when I select Publish Online in Indesign instead of exporting, the animations work. Unfortunately, that option won't work for what my job needs this file for so is there anyway for me to export the interactive pdf and have the animations function correctly?

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Performance , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

You can't have animations in a PDF - use InDesign's Publish Online, which is HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Do you ean they've removed that feature? Used to be able to have animations in PDF.

The export to interactive pdf includes a page transitions option (if nothing else), not that it seems to do anything.

Don't know why they would leave those options if they don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Been √'ed so I suppose that's the truth then. 

So the whole transitions pallet in indesign does nothing.

I have figured out that if you append a publish online address with ?transitions you get some default transitions but they are not related to the transtions pallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

"You can't have animations in a PDF - use InDesign's Publish Online, which is HTML5"

More exactly: you cannot export animation made with InDesign to PDF since Flash Player has become obsolete.

But with Acrobat Pro and JavaScript you can do whatever you want in a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020
Maybe YOU can, but I’m guessing most people can’t. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have animations in a PDF - use InDesign's Publish Online, which is HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you ean they've removed that feature? Used to be able to have animations in PDF.

The export to interactive pdf includes a page transitions option (if nothing else), not that it seems to do anything.

Don't know why they would leave those options if they don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been √'ed so I suppose that's the truth then. 

So the whole transitions pallet in indesign does nothing.

I have figured out that if you append a publish online address with ?transitions you get some default transitions but they are not related to the transtions pallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could never have true animations in a PDF. The workaround was to place SWF files in the PDF but SWF is dead. Page transitions, AFAIK, should still work in full screen mode in Acrobat or Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can't have animations in a PDF - use InDesign's Publish Online, which is HTML5"

More exactly: you cannot export animation made with InDesign to PDF since Flash Player has become obsolete.

But with Acrobat Pro and JavaScript you can do whatever you want in a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe YOU can, but I’m guessing most people can’t. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have links to tutorials on how to do this? You mean you create the animations in Acrobat once the PDF is already created/exported from InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animation in PDF is not part of the PDF specification.

Depending on the final output,  you can use instead, for example, InDesign's Publish Online (HTML5) or for social media have a look at Adobe Express (video) .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I know. I was specifically asking how this [But with Acrobat Pro and JavaScript you can do whatever you want in a PDF file.] can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you have links to tutorials on how to do this? "

See this one:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-pdf-with-embedded-gifs/m-p/11749733

They are many other tips in this forum.

This document is old but still relevant:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:2efca783-c525-4c50-b00c-f2d153de54cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Animation in PDF is not part of the PDF specification"

What animation format?

3D, video and JavaScript (ECMAScript) are part of the PDF 1.7 specifications, aka ISO 32000-1:2008.

See:

https://www.3dpdfmaker.com/example

https://abracadabrapdf.net/file/AnimatedPDF.pdf

https://abracadabrapdf.net/file/abcAnimaux.pdf

https://abracadabrapdf.net/file/LesGourmandine-BdC_demo.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines