Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdf or publish online and distributing

New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to creating an Indesign interactive pdf files & publishing online capability. I have learned some of the actions I want to implement are not available on the interactive pdf file. My only concern or question is around the distributing capability. I have never published online so I hope you can help me understand the following:

1. Where does the online file live? (on the Abobe server, I suppose)

2. Can I host/install the file on say a private company server or platform instead of Adobes? The document I am creating has private information that would be frowned on if it just posted it anywhere. 

Thanks,

Lisa

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Publish Online documents are hosted on Adobe servers -- you can't host them yourself. It's unlikely anyone would stumble on the URL, but it would not be secure, you can't password protect documents.

As an alternative have a look at in5, which you can host yourself: 

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online documents are hosted on Adobe servers -- you can't host them yourself. It's unlikely anyone would stumble on the URL, but it would not be secure, you can't password protect documents.

As an alternative have a look at in5, which you can host yourself: 

https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reaching out. Derek has suggested you correctly. Publish Online documents are hosted on Adobe servers. Each published document is assigned its own unique URL. Only person with the URL will be able to access it(Just like many file sharing services). You can embed hosted content, or links to hosted content, in your own site, but currently Publish Online does not support the hosting of content on your own server. Please find more information on https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/publish-online-faq.html

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A free script exists that will export your pages as fixed layout html files. These can be hosted directly on your server.

Get it here:

https://www.gilbertconsulting.com/resources-scripts.html

The final output does ideally require some simple CSS to have it center on the page and cut off overflowing elements (if any). Compared to in5 it is a free option, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used InDesign to publish the document online and then used the embedd code to place it into a website page. I'm having an issue with a tag that pops up in the file that says "Read Now" instead of "View Now" since it is more like a video than a document you read. Is there any way to change this label? And if so, where would that be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a link to the site with the published docment? The Read Now tag seems more like it's content within the document, rather than the embedd code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you viewing the document? I don't see a popup using chrome, firefox or safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's showing up when we are embedding it on a website. See image below: Is there any way to change it so it says View Now instead? 

Unknown.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it now when using an iframe code on a site.

Although I don't know of a way to change "Read Now", here is a way to hide "Read Now" along with the ID publish banner in upper left corner.

In the code, change "embed" to "view"

<iframe style="border: 0px solid #777;" src="https://indd.adobe.com/view/015c47c7-1919-4851-bc3e-867b1f30d463?startpage=1&allowFullscreen=true" width="1200px" height="750px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeffrey

That worked! thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines