Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdf to disable scrolling and use my created navigation arrows

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to help a client to do an interactive pdf which navigate page by the created button. But I realised it works on the button and also the normal scrolling in the adobe pdf reader.

Can the interactive pdf created by Indesign disabled the scrolling and use only created navigation previous and next button to change the pages?

I also realised only adobe pdf reader works, some pdf reader doesn't work.

does it works on other known pdf reader?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

This cannot be done in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to InDesign forum from DPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm trying to move into the indesign forum too. Sorry first time using this to ask a question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth having a look at Publish Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not something you can do from InDesign. Whether it's possible in Acrobat I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might ask the Acrobat Scripting forum if you can disable scrolling.

However: There are many, many other ways you can also navigate such as Page Up/Page Down, arrow keys, menus, toolbars. Plus there is a setting in Preferences that people can set for their own computers that you cannot control that will let them navigate with a Navigation bar.

Also: Acrobat and Acrobat Reader are not the only PDF viewers. You cannot control how people view your PDF.

You also cannot force the viewer to use full screen mode.

Acrobat has it built in that you cannot control the users experience. This is done intentionally. Otherwise bad things could happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane for explaining the reason.

As my client wishes to try if there is a solution to it on the Indesign side so it can be control and display.

The acrobat scripting is done on the reader side or can be done on the Indesign side when exporting to interactive pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cannot be done in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks bob. I shall let my client know about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it can be done at all, it would be in Acrobat Pro. You would have to ask the Acrobat Scripting forum. And I can't imagine that it would work if the viewer opens the PDF in Preview or another PDF viewer. Or if they disabled Scripts. If it were to work at all.

I realize you are asking on behalf of someone else, but imagine the evil that can be done by scripts running that we cannot disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I think i understand now. I'll ask in the acrobat scripting forum and see what i can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Vince 🙂
Did you found solution to this issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a  three-year-old thread. Nothing's changed with PDF, you still can't use these effects.

For some of these effects you can use Publish Online and in5, which are in HTML5 format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Derek's reply, take a look at Publish Online, which allows the user to use any browser on any device to view an interactive document created in InDesign . Yes, you can still navigate in the browser, in addition to your own navigation, but the variety and richness of interactive features that can be used might convince your client. Lots of good examples on the pages here: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has always been possible with Acrobat Pro and this can be used with Acrobat Reader since version XI (11).

But it's an "expert" manufacturing secret. 😉

See this nice PDF I made* for Brother (must be downloaded and used with Acrobat Reader, not with Preview, not with a web browser and not with any low-end PDF reader):

* A designer made the document with InDesign and then I added my touch of magic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay

The PDF is good - restricting the user to navigate as per the buttons. 

Is it possible to share how to achieve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/How-to-disable-navigation-q119153.aspx

Check the link above, it will help sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe is the manufacturer of acrobat, you do not represent the manufacturer of acrobat. you are selling a third party service/product.

Please be clear on your posts. 

thanks

jonathan

[moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't share my manufacturing secrets, I sell them.

Contact me privately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then perhaps you should have been more upfront about it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is not for advertising/selling of products or services. We in the adobe forums are not selling answers/solutions to issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first answer is for Derek_Cross : "you still can't use these effects", not to the question asked three years ago.

And my second answer is very clear, I don't understand what is bothering you.

(I am not responsible for the bad indentation of the answers in this forum 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to lead someone to believe that something's possible you should be prepared to provide, at the very least, an explanation of how you did it.

Telling someone it involves heavy scripting in Acrobat isn't going to enable them to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a way to navigate a pdf using only buttons (with links to bookmarked pages)?  Was Adobe Pro able to provide a solution?

We are trying to do the same and the in5 plug-in for InDesign works to restrict navigation to buttons only.  However, the document is then web published with no DRM protection...so that doesn't meet our needs either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett22500045uyfc – It might be best if you start a new thread and enunciate your "needs".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines