Highlighted

Interactive pdf to disable scrolling and use my created navigation arrows

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to help a client to do an interactive pdf which navigate page by the created button. But I realised it works on the button and also the normal scrolling in the adobe pdf reader.

Can the interactive pdf created by Indesign disabled the scrolling and use only created navigation previous and next button to change the pages?

I also realised only adobe pdf reader works, some pdf reader doesn't work.

does it works on other known pdf reader?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

This cannot be done in InDesign

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Interactive pdf to disable scrolling and use my created navigation arrows

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to help a client to do an interactive pdf which navigate page by the created button. But I realised it works on the button and also the normal scrolling in the adobe pdf reader.

Can the interactive pdf created by Indesign disabled the scrolling and use only created navigation previous and next button to change the pages?

I also realised only adobe pdf reader works, some pdf reader doesn't work.

does it works on other known pdf reader?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 25, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to InDesign forum from DPS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm trying to move into the indesign forum too. Sorry first time using this to ask a question.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth having a look at Publish Online.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not something you can do from InDesign. Whether it's possible in Acrobat I don't know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might ask the Acrobat Scripting forum if you can disable scrolling.

However: There are many, many other ways you can also navigate such as Page Up/Page Down, arrow keys, menus, toolbars. Plus there is a setting in Preferences that people can set for their own computers that you cannot control that will let them navigate with a Navigation bar.

Also: Acrobat and Acrobat Reader are not the only PDF viewers. You cannot control how people view your PDF.

You also cannot force the viewer to use full screen mode.

Acrobat has it built in that you cannot control the users experience. This is done intentionally. Otherwise bad things could happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane for explaining the reason.

As my client wishes to try if there is a solution to it on the Indesign side so it can be control and display.

The acrobat scripting is done on the reader side or can be done on the Indesign side when exporting to interactive pdf?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 0
Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks bob. I shall let my client know about it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2017 0
Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it can be done at all, it would be in Acrobat Pro. You would have to ask the Acrobat Scripting forum. And I can't imagine that it would work if the viewer opens the PDF in Preview or another PDF viewer. Or if they disabled Scripts. If it were to work at all.

I realize you are asking on behalf of someone else, but imagine the evil that can be done by scripts running that we cannot disable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I think i understand now. I'll ask in the acrobat scripting forum and see what i can find out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2017 1
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Vince 🙂
Did you found solution to this issue ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 0
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a  three-year-old thread. Nothing's changed with PDF, you still can't use these effects.

For some of these effects you can use Publish Online and in5, which are in HTML5 format.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 1
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has always been possible with Acrobat Pro and this can be used with Acrobat Reader since version XI (11).

But it's an "expert" manufacturing secret. 😉

See this nice PDF I made* for Brother (must be downloaded and used with Acrobat Reader, not with Preview, not with a web browser and not with any low-end PDF reader):

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:d7f757e0-cb05-4d72-a865-79cf52c10bd6

* A designer made the document with InDesign and then I added my touch of magic

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay

The PDF is good - restricting the user to navigate as per the buttons. 

Is it possible to share how to achieve this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't share my manufacturing secrets, I sell them.

Contact me privately.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then perhaps you should have been more upfront about it? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0