• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdfs are suddenly exporting as large file sizes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since last week, pdfs exported from InDesign as Interactive are unexpectedly large – like 12.5 MB instead of 2-3 MB. I tried using the smallest resolution too, but previously I used the default Interactive specs and resolution size of 144 PPI and still had small files. 

When I open and re-save them as “reduce file size” or “optimize" in Acrobat, the pdfs don’t get smaller. That has been my workaround in the past, but these pdfs can't be reduced in size more than 1MB.

This is happening across multiple InDesign projects, but I have one template I have used for years and been able to always save it out to a small size. There is nothing unusual or new with the content of the files that I can discern. The template file which I'm troubleshooting doesn't even have transparency and the placed images are either small vector files or compressed jpgs.

What I tried: 

• I tried exporting from three InDesign versions.
  • I installed the Adobe PPD and made the pdf the old-fashioned way with a Postscript dump and then Distilling it – that produced the expected 2.3MB file, but I lose all my web links and have to create them manually.
  • I also tried saving the pdf out in parts to see if a specific section is a problem, and the parts were all equally large sizes.

Mac OS Mojave running newest CS apps.

Ideas?
TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Hi venus_k,

you said:

"…that produced the expected 2.3MB file, but I lose all my web links and have to create them manually."

No. You can do this differently.

Create two PDF files:

A. Export with interactive features

B. Print to PostScript, distill to PDF

Open the PDF from A in Acrobat Pro DC.

Subsitute all pages of A with the pages from B.

That should reduce file size and your interactive elements should be maintained.

I'm on Windows 10 so I will not be able to help if there are issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

I wouldn't bother with the Interactive PDF export.

File>export and choose Smallest file size

Then make sure that Hyperlinks are selected in the bottom of the Export Adobe PDF dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

There are Adobe PDF presets available from InDesign. 

You need to check with your printer, but PDF/X-4 is normally recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi venus_k,

you said:

"…that produced the expected 2.3MB file, but I lose all my web links and have to create them manually."

No. You can do this differently.

Create two PDF files:

A. Export with interactive features

B. Print to PostScript, distill to PDF

Open the PDF from A in Acrobat Pro DC.

Subsitute all pages of A with the pages from B.

That should reduce file size and your interactive elements should be maintained.

I'm on Windows 10 so I will not be able to help if there are issues perhaps related to the Mac OS.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this workaround! It will help with some upcoming projects. I'm not a novice user - I've been using Adobe since before Photoshop had layers. I recently fixed a tech issue with other software (my ISP was blocking their update server) and told their tech support how I fixed it – so I have experience troubleshooting all kinds of things. This issue has me perplexed – and it's interfering with my work product.

My next troubleshooting steps will be deleting system files that are delete-able to reset settings, and uninstalling/reinstalling the app, updating my OS and finally a full clean install (complete wipe) of my computer. I'm hoping that Adobe support could help before I have to go that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't bother with the Interactive PDF export.

File>export and choose Smallest file size

Then make sure that Hyperlinks are selected in the bottom of the Export Adobe PDF dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I like that there might be a workaround, but when I choose "Export" there are only two PDF options: Print and Interactive – am I missing something here? Thanks!

.Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.04.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are Adobe PDF presets available from InDesign. 

You need to check with your printer, but PDF/X-4 is normally recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines