Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interface design is confusing

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe experts.

I've been struggling to get to grips with the long ribbon across the top of the interface (I don't even know what it's called, but in terms of function it's the text tool subpanel). It seems very non intuitive. Some issue I have:

1. In Paragraph mode, if you change the font without selecting some text, nothing happens.

2. In Character mode, a bunch of options to the right apply to the whole paragraph, even if you only have one word selected.

I've been unable to find any documentation on this, but it seems insane. Can anyone point me to a clear explanation of this?

Thanks, Chris.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

1. In Paragraph mode, if you change the font without selecting some text, nothing happens.

It’s changing the default font family—if you create a new text frame the first insertion point will be set to the chosen font.

2. In Character mode, a bunch of options to the right apply to the whole paragraph, even if you only have one word selected.

Toggling between the character and paragraph formatting controls rearranges the panel. On a large screen, selecting the Character Formatting Contols do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

There's way to much to know that anyone could explain here on the fourm,

I would suggest taking a Indesign training course or google around to look for some documentation on this....take a look at the link below for some basics.

https://www.acuitytraining.co.uk/news-tips/understanding-the-indesign-workspace/

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linkedin Learning have outstanding InDesign online video tutorials and you can get 30-days free access.

And of course, return this friendly forum for specific questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both for your responses.

I've already tried the Adobe doducmentation without any joy, and am a member of LIL.

Well I thought those were fairly specific questions Derek.

Best Regards, Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called the Control panel and has been there forever. As you may have noticed it's contextual and it's also customizable by clicking the small gear icon on the right of the panel.

2021-03-15_7-57-38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s changing the default font family—if you create a new text frame the first insertion point will be set to the chosen font.

Toggling between the character and paragraph formatting controls rearranges the panel. On a large screen, selecting the Character Formatting Contols doesn’t hide the paragraph controls, it simply moves the group of controls relative to character formatting to the left of the control panel where they would be visible on a smaller screen or when the control panel is resized.

Here’s the Adobe helpx page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/workspace-basics.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect. Many thanks Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines