Highlighted

Is it possible to maintain some styling while applying a broad paragraph style?

New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain. I have a client who has a multi-hundred page document created in Pages. It isn't very pretty, so he wants me to design it for him. However, the main thing is, transferring things over. He has many book references, quotes, etc. that are italicized, headers that are bolded, etc. 

This may be a long shot. But, is there any way in InDesign, where I could apply a paragraph style with qualifications. So for example, say I copied a 30 page chapter into a thread of text boxes in InDesign. Is there any way that I can tell InDesign something like "Change all text to the settings in this paragraph style, but if the text is currently italicized, apply the italic character style to that."

Or is the only way to lay this out in InDesign, to simply apply the broad paragraph style I want, and then go back through applying my italic and bold character styles where necessary? This is what I've done in the past, but it leaves room for error if you accidentally miss a spot. I can't be the only one who has had this problem! Manually re-applying character styles to hundreds of instances is terrible. If there is no way to do this in GREP settings or something, I'd probably need to tell the client no, or figure out how to just make his Pages document work. Or altogether, is InDesign the wrong Adobe program for this? Is there one more specifically dedicated to laying out books?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Nicolas,

if the clipboard can maintain some of the formatting of the text in the Pages app document, you could use a script by Marc Autret for reading out the formats:

RichPaste | Copy and Paste with Minimal Formatting [UPDATE]
Marc Autret, April 06, 2016

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2015/10/richpaste-copy-and-paste-with-minimal-formatting

Quoting Marc Autret: "When it comes to pasting text from another document or application, InDesign provides two options, either keeping the original text attributes, fonts, styles (the full 'Paste' feature), or removing all attributes ('Paste without formatting'.) We also have tools and preferences in the field of style mapping, but on many occasions these features do not fit the need of dealing quickly with basic formatting problems. Here RichPaste comes to the rescue…"

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is it possible to maintain some styling while applying a broad paragraph style?

New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain. I have a client who has a multi-hundred page document created in Pages. It isn't very pretty, so he wants me to design it for him. However, the main thing is, transferring things over. He has many book references, quotes, etc. that are italicized, headers that are bolded, etc. 

This may be a long shot. But, is there any way in InDesign, where I could apply a paragraph style with qualifications. So for example, say I copied a 30 page chapter into a thread of text boxes in InDesign. Is there any way that I can tell InDesign something like "Change all text to the settings in this paragraph style, but if the text is currently italicized, apply the italic character style to that."

Or is the only way to lay this out in InDesign, to simply apply the broad paragraph style I want, and then go back through applying my italic and bold character styles where necessary? This is what I've done in the past, but it leaves room for error if you accidentally miss a spot. I can't be the only one who has had this problem! Manually re-applying character styles to hundreds of instances is terrible. If there is no way to do this in GREP settings or something, I'd probably need to tell the client no, or figure out how to just make his Pages document work. Or altogether, is InDesign the wrong Adobe program for this? Is there one more specifically dedicated to laying out books?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Nicolas,

if the clipboard can maintain some of the formatting of the text in the Pages app document, you could use a script by Marc Autret for reading out the formats:

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2015/10/richpaste-copy-and-paste-with-minimal-formatting

Quoting Marc Autret: "When it comes to pasting text from another document or application, InDesign provides two options, either keeping the original text attributes, fonts, styles (the full 'Paste' feature), or removing all attributes ('Paste without formatting'.) We also have tools and preferences in the field of style mapping, but on many occasions these features do not fit the need of dealing quickly with basic formatting problems. Here RichPaste comes to the rescue…"

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can import Pages into InDesign directy, but if you can Save it as say a MSWord file you can Place that in InDesign and use the Microsoft Word Import Options feature (I attach a screen shot). You can convert Word styles to InDesign Paragraph and Character styles.

If you want to know in detail how to use the feature, Linkedin Learning has a useful online video tutorial (you can get 30-days free access): https://www.linkedin.com/learning/word-and-indesign-integration?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-ca...

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 17.59.11.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> but if the text is currently italicized, apply the italic character style to that."

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/is-there-a-way-to-paste-text-into-indesign-apply-a-style-but...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 1
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicolas,

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe -- this looks good, does Rich Paste work with InDesign 2020?
Cheers,

Derek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

did not test richPaste with InDesign 2020 and cannot test with Apple Pages, because I'm on Windows 10.

But yes, it should work. It's up to Nicolas to test the script 🙂 And also to come back here and report 🙂

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0