• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to reorder a list alphabetically?

Advocate ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is a third party app, or possibly a way to re-order a list alphabetically in InDesign?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Hi @Ken Nielsen:

Did you try the Sort Paragaphs script in the Scripts panel? That should take care of it for you.

https://creativepro.com/sort-paragraphs-text-indesign/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ken Nielsen:

Did you try the Sort Paragaphs script in the Scripts panel? That should take care of it for you.

https://creativepro.com/sort-paragraphs-text-indesign/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, Have not tried yet but I'm confident that this will do it for me. Thank You Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script that Barb recommends worls fine on short lists. If your list is long it will take a long time to finish. You can then try this (free) script: https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2020/08/smartsort-1-05-new-design-new-options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Hellp Peter, Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for this exact solution just now and found this script worked very well for my use case. However, I wanted to ask if there was a way to run this script without it removing the return spaces between my list of items when alphabetizing? I have tried the script both with "ignore spaces" selected and unselected and it seems to remove the return both ways. Example attached illustrates my question - I am wanting the outcome to be the list on the right. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not possible. But if you add space-before in the applied paragraph style you'll keep the space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken:

We are always happy to help! 😊

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines