• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a fix for Arial Narrow not showing up in InDesign? I need it!!

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS5, Windows7.  I am seeing where lots of people are having trouble, but has anyone found a fix?  Arial Narrow and it's font family is supposedly installed in Windows/Fonts, but is not available in InDesign.  Arial narrow only shows up under Arial as a family member, not its own family.  I NEED Arial Narrow Bold to work! I am behind schedule.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

This problem is due to the offending fonts having the wrong "Preferred Family" and "Preferred Subfamily" names and it can be corrected using a Font Editor, such as the free version of Type light which can be downloaded from http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html.

The process I found to work (in Windows 8 with Adobe Indesign CC and Office 2010) is as follows:

1. Open a File Explorer window and go to the system font library at C:/Windows/Fonts and double click on the Arial font (this has a special

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you insist on using Arial Narrow you need to replace the new version with the older version from Windows XP/Ofiice 2000 (or possibly Office 2003). This is a Microsoft error, not Adobe's, and if you search for Arial Narrow in the forum you'll probably find some threads from several years ago that discuss it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't delete it because it says it's protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you logged in as an Administrator?

What version of Arial Narrow is installed? It's not a font I would ever use by choice, but I do have version 2.3 installed here on Windows 7 (but it may well have come from Office 2000, which is also installed) and it works fine in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the search for Arial Narrow, and it appears that Microsoft issued a hot patch for Vista, but you should also look under Arial and see if the other Narrow weights are listed there -- seems to be the case with at least some users. Someone else seemed to have some luck copying the fonts to the ID private fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hotpatch assumes Office 2007. When you run it on Windows 8 with Office 2010 it gives an error message and terminates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful if someone could provide a link to a download source for older versions of Arial Narrow. Unless one happens to have a working copy of Windows XP it would seem that the only alternative is to pay for the privilege to download via a link from the Microsoft site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the AdobeFnt*.lst files to properly reflect the font family.

for Regular:

"FamilyName:Arial" -> "FamilyName:Arial Narrow"

"StyleName:Narrow" -> "StyleName:Regular"

for Bold:

"StyleName:Narrow" -> "StyleName:Bold"

for Italic:

"StyleName:Narrow" -> "StyleName:Italic"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to edit the AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst file as KaiserGuy suggested but when InDesign was started it reverted to as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier wrote:

This is a Microsoft error, not Adobe's

it's a shame for such IT monster to do such basic errors.

Well, all you need is to edit font family names with some font editing app.

So I was forced to 'fix' my Arial Narrow version 2.37 to achieve what OP wants. Now it shows up as a separate family in Adobe and MS Office 2003 apps (see screenshot of ID's Font list):

ArialNarrow.png

However, Notepad still reads all flavours under one cap - Arial. I can live with that.

Win7 64-bit, CS6, ID8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is due to the offending fonts having the wrong "Preferred Family" and "Preferred Subfamily" names and it can be corrected using a Font Editor, such as the free version of Type light which can be downloaded from http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html.

The process I found to work (in Windows 8 with Adobe Indesign CC and Office 2010) is as follows:

1. Open a File Explorer window and go to the system font library at C:/Windows/Fonts and double click on the Arial font (this has a special icon indicating that it contains multiple subentries)
  2. Copy the fonts for Arial Narrow, Arial Narrow Bold, Arial Narrow Italic and Arial Narrow Bold Italic to a new folder on your desktop
  3. Edit each of these copies using your font editor and change the  Preferred Family and Preferred Subfamily names (in Type light use the menu option Font>Names... then click the Advanced button)
  4. The Preferred Family should be changed to Arial Narrow and the Preferred Subfamily should be either Regular, Bold, Italic, or Bold Italic as per the particular font you are editing (While you are there you could also make similar changes to the Arial Black font which has the same problem - in this case, make Preferred Family Arial Black and Preferred Subfamily Regular)
  5. Save each font file back over the top of the one in the folder in your folder on the desktop (Save and replace) then open a new File Explorer window for that folder and drag the changed fonts back into their orginal location at C:/Windows/Fonts/Arial
  6. Open a new File Explorer window and do a search on the C: drive for all instances of AdobeFnt*.lst then delete all of them
  7. Restart your computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

St3v3n.Howard, Thank you so very much for your instructions. I followed them exactly and was able to finally see the Arial Narrow Family in Photoshop CC. I was afraid to delete all those .lst files but nothing bad happened.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, your instructions work well for me - Windows 7 and Adobe CS 6.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for these awesome instructions,

I followed them and have resolved my issues with Arial Narrow.

I am a Windows 7 user.

You totally rock!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much to the author (St3v3n.Howard) of this effective share :-!!!

I was searching several hours for a reasonable solution about the Arial Narrow (is our company font) problem

for getting it into Adobe (Creative Suite CS5) ...

But this short explanation helps to correct this "stupid" uncorrect namings of newer Arial Narrow type family ...

This method was also successful with following constellation:

Win7 Prof. (64 Bit), Office 2013 (32 Bit), Adobe Creative Suite CS5 (installation as 64 Bit), Arial Narrow type family Rev. 2.37 (© 2006).

Thank you one's more,

RG69

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting. Can you tell me where in the process it is not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, these instruction helped way off in the future of 2020.  :^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working.. Had to make sure to use an older version(2.30) of Arial Narrow and made sure it replaced the 2.40 ones(which I had to delete manually before windows accepted the 2.30 one). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much! 11 years later Your instructions still work. Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for these awesome instructions,

I followed them and have resolved my issues with Arial Narrow.

I am a Windows 7 user.

You totally rock!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Not Work...

After following the instructions for changing font family and style info for Arial Narrow then deleting all instances of AdobeFnt*.lst 
- Still has the exact same problem - Arial Narrow does not show up as a font family (even thoughthe font file currently reads Arial Narrow as the Preferred Font Family)
- Using Windows 7 64bit and InDesign CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines