Highlighted

Is there a plug-in for importing recipes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with finding a simple way to import recipes into Indesign for a cookbook. Is there some kind of plug-in that will format it correctly that will just run a script? I know there are ways to do this but they are so time consuming, hoping someone has something I am not aware of! Thanks!

TOPICS
InCopy workflow, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a plug-in for importing recipes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with finding a simple way to import recipes into Indesign for a cookbook. Is there some kind of plug-in that will format it correctly that will just run a script? I know there are ways to do this but they are so time consuming, hoping someone has something I am not aware of! Thanks!

TOPICS
InCopy workflow, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes recipes any different than anything else?

I did a cookbook a few years ago and all of the material was provided as Google Docs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the ingredient list, should that all be in its own column in the excel document, not all recipes have the same amount of ingredents. Some recipes are longer than others. 

How did you do it when you used google docs? Can you give me the steps you took to make the cookbook, I really appreciate any helps and or tips, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob suggests, it pretty much starts and ends with well thought out Paragraph and Character styles. Nail that and it should be a breeze. You could always explore Data Merge if your recipes are in a data file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what I need to know, how to get them to come in correctly with data merge. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends upon how your spreadsheet is set up. To use data merge, each recipe would need to be on just one row of the spreadsheet. If it is set up some other way, you will need to use a differnt process to format the InDesign pages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One field per recipe line is probably best (ie, Instructions_1, Instructions_2, Instructions_3). Using soft returns in a csv file can mess up how the data flows in through Datamerge. You can have blank entries in your data and just use GREP to remove them after you do the merge. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
evansh01 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0