• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to change text and object colors with a single click?

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a template for our student designers to use. The document has multiple instances of text and of lines, appearing on multiple pages, that all need to be the same color. However, that color will change every time they use the template (this week, all the titles and lines might be yellow, while next week, they might all be red). I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to allow them to choose the new color in one place and have it update everywhere. Obviously I can make a paragraph style for the text and an object style for the lines, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to simplify it even further (I know changing it in two places shouldn't be hard, but it's like pulling teeth to get these students to remember to use styles at all. 😂) Anyone have any clever ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it's like pulling teeth to get these students to remember to use styles at all

Well… If they are not able to understand that using styles is compulsory…

However, you could use a neutral color for both paragraph styles and object style, and name it “color to be changed”. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remembering to use styles is part of the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make it a swatch colour - in the Swatches Panel.

They just need to update the colour in the swatches. 

Once that colour is used in the text, objects etc. it will change everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want them to remember to use styles, then create a document with styles, really well formed styles. 

Then delete all the styles and retain formatting.

Ask them to update the font, the size of body text, heading sizes etc. 

It will take them hours.

Then give them the document with the styles, and show them how changing the styles only takes a few minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines