• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create a vertical header row or break vertically oriented tables?

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a catalog with tables that span several pages each. I'd like to design them so that the name of each item is in the first row and the subsequent information is in 5-6 cells below the name. In order to do this I need to have the headers appear in a column to the left of the listings.

Also, is there a way to break a table that's oriented vertically? As you can see in the screen shot, I want the table to break before it reaches the spine but I'm not sure how to do this (or even if there's a way).

Thanks,

Lloyd

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lloyd,

how is your raw data organized?

Are there columns for the categories:

WHOLESALE PRICE, RETAIL PRICE, PART #,APPLICATION(s), FEATURES, IMAGE, NAME

Then you could build a table like that with a rotated text frame and, where necessary, rotate the contents of the cells.

Breaking the table over the spine would mean one or two empty row of a rotated table.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the catalog is going to be more than 100 pages, so it would be a lot of work to rotate every text box. The original information is in Excel, so I can manipulate it in Excel any way I need to and then Place it in InDesign, but I don't have a lot of time to put this together, so I won't try to design this catalog that way.

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lloyd,

to speed up your project tremendously I recommend to use WoodWing's SmartStyles plug-in.

Especially when doing a large amount of complex styled tables.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe,

That's so funny...I actually already own Smart Styles and didn't even think about using it for this. I'll give it a shot...

Thanks!

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines