• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to get my scrolling Arrows back in InDesign 2021?

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before upgrading from ID 2020 to ID 2021 I had scrolling arrows at the top and bottom of my scrollbar. I could tap those to move up or down in small nudges rather than leaping a full screen (which doesn't leap from spread to spread, which would be useful, it lands me somewhere in the pasteboard with or without part of the spread visible, so I have to futz about to get the full spread back in view). In 2021 those are gone. Is there any way to get them back? I looked in the preferences and couldn't find anything that looked relevant.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason why you need 2021 over the previous version? If not why not just install the pervious version.

You can install previous version of Indesign through Creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm on a Mac. (Duh, ought to have said that in the first place.)

Mojave; OS 10.14.6

InDesign 16.0.1.109

And yeah, I can grab the scroll button and move it manually, but I'm dealing with a 1400+ page document. The button is small and moves unevenly. And it's sounding like this is another change made to just be making changes. Why?

I've started switching to the hand tool and dragging the window, and it works, but both that and dragging the scroll button wastes time.  Before, I'd just click in the scrollbar and make a couple of additonal clicks on the arrow to fine tune it. Took next to no time at all.

Now, back in much earlier versions (quite a *long* time ago) the pastboard was wide, but not as high as it is currently, and just clicking in the scrollbar got right to the next spread. With the taller paseboard, that doesn't work. But I can see some point in enlarging the pasetboard. But to do that requires additional navigation tools, not fewer. Doing away with navigation tools that get used *every time one moves to a new spread* is really irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to guess Mac.

2021 still shows the arrows on Windows. 2020 has the arrows on my Mac, but 2021 does not. Best I can tell, Joyce, this is not something you can turn off or on via InDesign preferences. I didn't even notice they were missing because I don't click on them, ever. They're just too little for me to land on quickly—and I'm always trying to get my work done quickly so that I can go outside and play. 

So, I might grab the scroll bar and gently push it up a little bit to accomplish the same task. Or because I use a trackpad on my desktop and laptop, I'll just push the page up or down with a 2-finger gesture. More options:

1. Press the Spacebar, and drag up or down with one finger on the trackpad. (Gestures also work on an Apple Magic Mouse.)
  2. Tap Command+Up Arrow/ Command+Down Arrow to navigate to the previous or next paragraph.
  3. Page Up/Page Down to scroll up/down one screen.
  4. If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, just push the wheel up or down. 

And when we get lost somewhere on the pasteboard—because we all do that from time to time—either double click on the Hand tool in the Toolbox, or tap Cmd+Opt+0 to fit spread in view. 

If all of these answers are unsatisfactory, you might consider logging a feature request on the user voice page to get the arrows restored. If enough people vote for a request, Adobe will consider it for a future version. https://indesign.uservoice.com/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page up/page down buttons do move to the next screen, but the next screen is not the next *spread*. It's just whatever real estate abuts the previous screen, and with the larger pasteboard that is as likely to show nothing but an inch or two of the next spread as not, and require another bout of twiddling.

Now, if the page up/page down buttons *did* jump to the next spread it would be perfect. But I gather that there's no way to tell the program, or the OS's page up/page down controls where on the pasteboard the spread is actually located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, if the page up/page down buttons *did* jump to the next spread it would be perfect. 

Ah, I thought you said you wanted "small nudges". To move spread to spread, use Opt+PageUp and Opt+PageDown. On a Macbook add Fn to the sequence. 

Or double click the dash between ranges of numbers in the Pages panel. i.e., 23.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! The option key did it. Being able to leap from spread to spread will save me a *lot* of fiddling. That's *exactly* what was needed, and I suspect it's already been in the program for a long time. But I never had it pointed out to me before. 

That cleared up the whole issue. 

Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! The option key did it. Great. I'm glad we could help. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly prefer navigating by spread and not page (because most of the stuff I work on is facing pages), so a few years ago I did two things in InDesign. I chose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, and then:

• Reassigned the Command-0 key to View > Fit Spread in Window (instead of the default Fit Page in Window). You don’t have to do this if you already like the existing Fit Spread in Window keyboard shortcut.
  • Reassigned the Page Up/Page Down keys to Layout > Previous Spread/Layout > Next Spread, respectively. 

That second adjustment lets me go from spread to spread by pressing Page Up/Page Down. Assigning those keys to the Previous Spread/Next Spread commands means the current view position is maintained from spread to spread, with none of the jumping around that you get with Next Page. If the spread is already at Fit Spread in Window magnification, the two pages stay perfectly fit on the screen as you go from spread to spread. If a spread isn’t already fitting the available screen area perfectly, I simply press the reassigned Command-0 shortcut and it’s ready to go with the reassigned Page Up/Page Down.

On a non-extended keyboard, you can get Page Up/Page Down by adding the Fn key to the up arrow/down arrow keys, respectively.

Also: When the document is in the Presentation full screen view (Shift-W) and already displayed as a spread, just press the left arrow or right arrow keys to change spreads; Page Up and Page Down work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Mac? Then check System Preferences and set scrollbars to Always show.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1225/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scrollbars are visible. It's the scrolling arrows at the top and the bottom of the scrollbars that seem to have gone walkabout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arrows are so tiny. I've NEVER even noticed them and I've used InDesign on a Mac forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arrows are there, but they are both very low contrast and not full arrows. They’re more like carats (thin angled lines). If you look closely at the magnified screen shot below, the arrows are difficult to see at the light UI setting, and barely visible at the dark UI setting. But they are there.

InDesign-macOS-10.15-scroll-arrows-UI-Retina.gif

Over the last 10 years, both OS and application developers have gradually deprecated scroll bars as faster ways of document navigation have become more common, such as the scroll wheel on a mouse or the two-finger vertical swipe on a trackpad. I rarely use the scroll bars because of the way I remapped Page Up/Page Down for spreads (see my other reply in this thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TINY!!!

Tiny.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines