Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to get the color picker to have similar options as other apps

Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The color picker in InDesign doesn't seem to have an option that makes it easy to find a neutral gray. In Photoshop, you have the Hue slider, with all the hues, and then in the larger area, once you pick a hue, you see all the values. It is so nice to be able to move over to the left to grab a neutral gray. Is there anything in InDesign that would give me the same options?

Thanks

Babs

InDesigns Color Picker

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.41.19 PM.png

Photoshop Color Picker

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.41.36 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Equal amounts of R, G, and B will give you a neutral gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could click "L" in the picker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about using the L value only on L*a*b* ?

Set your cursor to the L field, have a* and b* set to 0 and advance with the arrow key up and down.

That will move you along the gray axes.

But I have to put a warning to that:

All grays you are generating with that method are multi-colored. You can see that with your CMYK values.

And these grays are hard to print as neutral grays if you consider CMYK printing processes.

An example:

With e.g. ISO Coated v2 300% a gray like 5,3,4,0 is better produced with Black only.
The CMY values could be replaced by about 5 K.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Safer to stick with C 0, M 0, Y 0, and a percentage of K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

Thank you both for these...

I have tried your suggestions, but I still have the same issue.

In the photoshop color picker, I can pick a color like blue, in the slide area, and then just move my cursor over to the left, in the larger color box (showing every possible color of that one hue), where I can find a good neutral gray that works perfect with that color (see second 2 images).

I guess I am trying to find a way to get all the hue's in the slider part, and have all the values of that one color be in the larger box so I can get to the neutral gray.
If I have a color in CMYK, like 100, 51,51, 21 in In InDesign, I am not able to  get the neutral gray for this value all that easy, but when you see the 2 images below, you will get a better idea of what I have been doing.

Since there is no Hue option, it probably is not possible. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. thank you both!

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.09.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.10.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.11.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try the Color panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Babs,

Unfortunately, InDesign doesn't have the same kind of color picker as Photoshop and there's no way to make it identical at this time. Barbara's and Uwe's suggestions are the best workarounds. Alternatively, you could create color swatches in Photoshop and add them to your CC Library to use in InDesign. Creative Cloud libraries in InDesign

Please make a feature request here if you'd like to see the color picker changed: Adobe InDesign Feedback

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wren,

Thanks you for confirming.

A request feature sounds like a solid idea

UPDATE-Just checked and it is already there, I just added to it!!

Cheers,

Babs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines