• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to have several pages update at once?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a mortgage company where we have to create business cards, I've joined the company flyers, welcome posts for social media, etc... and all have the same headshot, phone numbers, email address, etc on them. 

I know that in InDesign I can make each page different dimensions, so was thinking I could have a page for each creative. So there'd be one page that is their business card, one that is their welcome post, etc... And what I want to do is make one page the master page, and when I type in their first name, last name, email, contact into, add their photo, etc... it automatically also applies those changes to all other pages. 

This would help save a lot of time by only having to really edit one of the creatives and have the others all already good to save out. 

Is this something that can be done within InDesign?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place and Link or Data Merge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But with placing linked images, can several linked images all update at once. It seems to want to have you link each copy individually once you copy over an image. And with Data merge, I tried with a CSV but it said it wasn't proper format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it wants me to make a field for each instance of the name, email, phone number, etc on the spreadsheet. Can I link the same column to several text fields in a CSV? I don't want to have to put a field for their first name over and over for each creative for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not have to make more than one field per data item; you can place that field as many times as you like in the template.

If you are having trouble using CSV, try using Tab Delimited Text instead. Screen shots of some of your trouble spots will help the helpers here to understand what is going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would use Data Merge for sure. You can add your images as a field as long as you include the full path to the graphics in your CSV file. As far as the error with your CSV file... what are using to create it?  Excel? If so, I may have an idea what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines