• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to set mm as a standard for New Document dialog box?

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this might seem a silly problem, but I would like to be able to sed the New Document dialog window to speak to me in millimeters, and not in picas. I know that I can set it manually, and I've been doing so in the last 15 years or so each time I have to create a new document, but I have recently switched to a set of different tasks that would run much smoother if I didn't have to tediously change this setting each time I open a new document.

Also, when I save a template for a commonly used size, and I go to retrieve it in my saved presets, they are show in picas again.

Any ideas? It's kind of bugging that such a basic function isn't present, no? Is there a magic setting page that I have been missing? Thanks for any suggestion!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Just change the units in the preferences BEFORE opening any document. The new ones will be set in mm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

To add to jmlevy's excellent suggestion, you can also add other defaults with no document open, such as the Font, Size and Leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the units in the preferences BEFORE opening any document. The new ones will be set in mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply, I do that already, and in fact when I open the documents' rulers are shown in mm. My question was another one: can I tell InDesign once-and-for-all that my brain doesn't think in picas but in the metric decimal system, that I want the New Document dialog to be set in mm already, and to show me the details of my saved presets in mm and not in picas? Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 18.28.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I never used it, I still use the old New document dialog box…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something must be up for you, since changing the ruler preferences DOES change the document presets for me, as expected

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 11.58.40 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to jmlevy's excellent suggestion, you can also add other defaults with no document open, such as the Font, Size and Leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both for your answer, they solved my issue! I didn't fully understood the first answer. To my defence though, I must say that it is kind of counter intuitive that in order for a general rule to be acquired by the application no document should be open. But hey, solved! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can change the unit measurements of the current document, but it only applies to that document. It doesn't change for new documents, that's why it's designed to change the defaults with no document open at the time of setting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines