Highlighted

Is there a way to translate English to Spanish and French?

Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have documents that come in in english is there a way to translate selected Text frames to the above languages? Or even better is there a way to do this in Paragraph styles that i havent seen yet?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

No, InDesign does not translate. It does allow you to set the language for the purpose of spellcheck and hyphenation though. You might want to hire a professional translator.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a way to translate English to Spanish and French?

Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have documents that come in in english is there a way to translate selected Text frames to the above languages? Or even better is there a way to do this in Paragraph styles that i havent seen yet?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jane-e | Adobe Community Professional

No, InDesign does not translate. It does allow you to set the language for the purpose of spellcheck and hyphenation though. You might want to hire a professional translator.

~ Jane

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 3
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will second what Jane said. The only way to get reliable translation is to hire a professional person to do it.  

The best that automatic translation can do is give you a general sense of what something says - I would never ever use it for anything I was planning on publishing (print or web). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 2
Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for replying. I knew it was a long show but figured it doesnt hurt to ask.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 1
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel Walden offers a script that uses Google Translate to translate text in an INDesign document. That could be a start. Google Translate has the problems of automatic translation (forget about literary translation), of course, but it may be good enough for your purposes. You can upgrade to neural machine-translation post-editing. It's pay-as-you-go.

http://www.id-extras.com/products/translate/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 1