• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an app that will open an InDesign file and save it with a new name?

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an app that will open an InDesign file and save it with a new name?

Data would be entered in a database, when prompted it would open up a file (example: cyc_MASTER.indd) it would save the file with a new name (example: cyc_JBlin8902.indd).

Data from the database would be automatically imported into corresponding fields in the new file and saved. The app would then prompt the InDesign file to export a pdf of the document.

If there is not one, can someone write one?

Thank you, David 

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you could use InDesign's built-in DataMerge function to replace the variable data from the database. Then something could be scripted to export each record with a docname field from the dataset. Have you looked into DataMerge at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have, but I want it to be done automatically.

Here is a link for a diagram for what I want: http://www.first-image.com/_cpi/inst/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @David Healy 

Sorry I'm not entirely sure what you end goal is but you can take a look at the post below...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/auto-data-merge-several-csv-files-and-save-pdf-with-a-specif...

the code would need some modifications to adapt it for your exact needs. although I've never done this, I think you should be able to develop an Automator script to watch a folder for the incomming .CSV files if you are on Mac OS. The Automator script would then open the specified InDesign document to run the script to do the data merge, save and PDF export.

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can your database export to a .csv file? That would make it easy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't set up the database but whatever I use must export .csv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think this would work:

A script in your startup scripts folder creates a beforeSave event listener. Or maybe beforeSaveAs. Or maybe both. This would intercept and cancel the normal InDesign event, so the user wouldn't see the save-as dialog. Instead the script would read your .csv file to determine the new file name, even a new file path if the .csv file supported it. 

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's cool! So I guess the script could, for example, check the indesign document file path to decide whether to perform the operations, or whether to act like a normal "Save As" and show the dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a special InDesign script written I suggest you get in touch with Keith Coppieters at Rorohiko (he's knowledgeable, friendly and approachable) https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I sent him a note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know the outcome – it'll be interesting to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you can try this from Em software : indata/xdata could be a way 

http://emsoftware.com/products/emdata/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this needs to go through InDesign at all. 

Your PDF layout is pretty simple and most database programs can generate a custom PDF per record.

For the onscreen view, you could also export XML and create a custom CSS file. 

If you database doesn't support these functions, you can easily export the data out to a program such as FileMaker. (If using Windows and have Office, you may have Access.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample is an abbrevation of what I actually need. I want to test the functions I need and I didn't want to distract with everything else that will be presented. I was thinking that a web based database would be preferable so that the end user would not need to have FileMaker. I am perfecting a more complete schematic. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, it's hard for anyone to give accurate advice without knowing the scope of the project. I was under the impression that the impression that you would be generating and delivering the PDF (via email?) and the end user would be viewing a custom web page upon demand. Neither of these options require the end user to have anything other than a PDF reader and a browser.

BTW: FileMaker was just a "for example" suggestion (although it does have web-database capabilities). 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines