• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there anyway to use indesign in linux? Or convert files to a linux-friendly design app?

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am converting to linux OS.  I have indesign with lots of files on a windows OS.  I'd like to use indesign in linux, but I understand that indesign is not compatible.  Is there any way to make it compatible or convert files to a suitable design software in linux?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

No, you'll need to keep running Windows 10 to keep running Indesign and Creative Cloud subscriptions. Maybe multi-boot is the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you'll need to keep running Windows 10 to keep running Indesign and Creative Cloud subscriptions. Maybe multi-boot is the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with @Test Screen Name, Adobe InDesign is only compatible with macOS & Windows as per system requirements.

You may post your concern on Adobe InDesign UserVoice. Product team will be happy to look into it.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the dual-boot method mentioned, you might see if VivaDesigner suits you. Mac, PC, Linux, web versions.

It opens both .idml & .indd files, though how well it does depends upon the files themselves.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Linux you could use open source VirtualBox to virtualize Windows and install InDesign in there.
Assuming you have an adequate machine performance wise.

Disclaimer:
I don't know if there are any license issues for virtualizing Adobe software (or Windows for that matter), so sorry if there are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines