• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there documentation available for the aid and aid5 namespaces?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found discussions here and there, but I cannot find any Adobe documentation that details the aid and aid5 namespaces. I'm looking for valid attribute values for these namespaces. I found discussions on the tables and on 'pstyle', but are there other attributes available? Is there an attribute for assigning object style names? When an image is imported, it is automatically placed inside a graphics frame. Is there anyway to assign which object style is used for that graphics frame.

For example, when tables are imported, I can use the aid5:tablestyle attribute to specify which table style to use. I'd like to do something similar, such as aid5:objectstyle, to specify the object style to associate with the graphics frame. I've guessed at both aid:objectstyle and aid5:objectstyle, but neither of these appear to be valid.

Is there documentation anywhere that lists the valid attributes that can be used with these namespaces? I've looked in the online InDesign User Guide, the InDesign Developer Documentation, and on various forums. I can't find anything that documents the aid or aid5 namespaces.

Thank you for any help that is offered.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Hi tcarano ,

all I could find is in the PDF linked below and reflects the state of XML with InDesign CS3:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/indesign/pdfs/indesign_and_xml_technical_reference…

But this would not give you the answer, i think.

When XML was introduced with InDesign Object Styles were not present as feature. So I think, you have to do some scripting for doing Object Styles with your imported images. I could be wrong, though…

Maybe there is more on InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tcarano ,

all I could find is in the PDF linked below and reflects the state of XML with InDesign CS3:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/indesign/pdfs/indesign_and_xml...

But this would not give you the answer, i think.

When XML was introduced with InDesign Object Styles were not present as feature. So I think, you have to do some scripting for doing Object Styles with your imported images. I could be wrong, though…

Maybe there is more on InDesign Scripting .

Should someone move this thread over to InDesign Scripting?

Found this here:

map XML tag to an object style

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also found this as reference:
http://carijansen.com/indesign-xml-reference-guide/

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe.

Thank you for your original responses on this. It was very helpful when I began working with InDesign and XML. I am wondering if you are aware of any more recent documentation or any changes to the aid, aid5, or newer namespaces. The CS3/XML technical reference is 13 years old, and it appears that Cari Jansen's reference material has not been updated in 2 years. Specifically, I am looking for namespace support for specify an Object Style (similar to the aid5:tablestyle and aid5:cellstyle). I'd like something I can place on graphics frames that would accomplish something like aid:objectstyle. Do you know of anything like this or of any newer documentation that provides complete documentation of the most recent InDesign namespace support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to know if the steps suggested by Uwe worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Is there any kind of xml structure for creating/applying group paragraph styles just like we already have for creating/applying paragraph style as aid:pstyle?

Best

Sunil Yadav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,

don't think that this is available.

Please do a feature request over there:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Uwe Laubender,

I searched a lot but found nowhere.

Finally Dirk_Becker cleared my doubt that XML styles import was last developed for CS4, after that there has been no development in this kind of things.

Refer to this post : https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/is-there-any-xml-structure-for-creating-and-applying-group-p...

And this feature is already been requested in December 08, 2017.

It has been 3 years from now. No action has been taken. 

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/32562304-st...

Thanks

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sunil,

thanks for the link to Roland Dreger's feature request.

I voted!

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines