• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there really no way to export PDFs as separate pages?

Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When delivering pdfs for print most of the time they want every page as a separate document.

I know that I can export the entire document as one pdf and then use Acrobat to split the document into separate pages.

But I just can't wrap my head around the fact that InDesign by the end of 2011 still won't let me achieve the same result without having to go through Acrobat (or some other app).

Can this really be the case? Or is there some way to achieve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

I work for an offset printer as a prepress operator, and i'd NEVER ask for single page/file PDFs unless i wanted to preflight dozens/hundreds/thousands of individual files at a time (e.g. 64pp book comes in, i can either check 1x64pp file; or 64x1pp files... know what i'd rather do!). I completely agree with John Hawkinson and Bob Levine that it's counter productive.

Similarly, in the 15 years that i've been in prepress here and overseas, i've only ever had one client supply files as single file/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

On another note: I can never understand why people bother to say "why would you ever" or "this is not a normal work flow"

Some people seem to think cause what someone wants to do is not excactly like they do it themselves its a wrong way to do the job.

It is a good question to ask when the request gives the appearance of being a very hard way to do something that should be easy.

It is somewhat common, as you might have gathered, that individual page PDFs are desired because it is thought that that is an easier way to impose when using some tools. It's not a good idea to encourage that, because there are better ways to impose.

Please don't interpret "Why would you want to do that?" as "YOU ARE WRONG! STOP IMMEDIATELY! WE HATE YOU!" Instead, please take it at face value, as a request for more information about your intentions, motivated by a desire to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my earlier post (post 44 of this thread) I provided a link to another thread where the OP's question's answer may possibly lie. Rather than dig through those threads, I will put the answer in this one:

There is an indesign script you can try and it is written by Loic Aigon: go to http://www.loicaigon.com/en/pdf-exports-properly-named/ read the article and see if it is appropriate for you.

There is another indesign script you can try but it is in german. See the adobe forum post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1014766 for more information.

There is an acrobat script that was written within the forum itself, but found it was the hardest of all three options: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5159865#5159865

All have different means to the same end: to produce unique PDFs for each record of a database within a Data Merge, with unique and easily identifiable filenames.

Colly

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only once a printer asked me to send single page pdfs. It was not a Quark-Imposing or InDesign-Imposing workflow.

I used Acrobat Pro. The command Tools > Pages > Extract >… with the option "extract as single pages" does exactly this. It is a one-step command for a once had requirement. I don't see any need for scripting, if someone has Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Willi.
I disagree 😉

A bit.

Kevin is spot-on with his reason for having such a workflow.
And Loic Aigon did a script that fits his needs. Except there is a bug handling anchored text frames, as it seems.

I would not see this feature a demand for the general feature set of InDesign.
Thanks to 3rd party developers this can be solved…

Using Acrobat Pro is a valid possibility. Though, depending on the workflow, it might be tedious to rename hundreds of single PDFs other than "001-name.pdf", "002-name.pdf" etc.

If one can extract a unique valuable name out of text on a page, fine: use Loic's script…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Adobe Bridge to batch rename a folder of files

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/video_workshop/html/vid0097.html

Although - a script helps too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing print design on Macs for over 20 years and deal with a large variety of printers regularly. Currently, I design a 132-page monthly magazine for a non-profit. The printer we use requires individual page-pdfs for their online, fairly advanced, proofing and largely-automated imposition system. They do require individual page pdfs, so I'd love to see that functionality built into InDesign, rather than the annoying workflow that's currently required.

At present, the magazine is built in three different files (cover, non-feature departments, feature-well). This is largely to accommodate the offsite editors who work on the issues via InCopy through our central "dropbox" server. Doing them all in one file means that layout changes can be slow in syncing, resulting in "conflicting" copies or other Dropbox burps.

Regardless, I end up with three multi-page pdfs, that must be then split via Acrobat and then batch renamed via Bridge.

Being able to just merge the InDesign documents and then output per-page would be quite helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that must be then split via Acrobat and then batch renamed via Bridge.

You can skip the Acrobat step with this script:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/BatchSinglePagePDFs.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Page PDFs are requested on a regular basis by the nation's largest printers. This was a simple check-off feature of Quark Xpress - and used to be a simple check off in Adobe Distiller itself. For some reason Adobe dropped it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's needed for imposition why should that be on the designer? It would take the printer a few seconds to do it out of Acrobat. On the design end I don't want to be chasing single pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having been involved with Acrobat at Adobe since prior to Release 1, I never recall Distiller ever having such a feature. It certainly has not had any feature like that (output from Distiller yielding a separate, distinct PDF file for each page that is distilled from PostScript) anytime in the last ten years or more.

One of the reasons why some of the “nation's largest printers” used workflows with single page PDF files was that they required absolute signoff of jobs on a per-page basis and that due to the overhead of production and preflighting of PDF, they only wanted to change the PDF for pages that needed to be changed. With the ability with modern equipment and software to export and preflight PDF files with hundreds of pages in a very few minutes, such single page PDF-based workflows are fairly obsolete.

With the advent of direct PDF RIP software (such as is provided by Adobe's OEMs with the Adobe PDF Print Engine technology), there is a tremendous advantage in terms of file storage and RIP performance by delivering multiple page PDF to the RIP which can simultaneously RIP and impose output (whether for plates or for digital presses). Ironically, although some printers may still ask for single page PDF, the vast majority can readily work with multiple page PDF files.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some further comments on this thread:

For what we call “editioning” or “versioning,” both InDesign and PDF offer a solution used by modern workflow. It's called “layers.” Even PDF/X-4 provides the ability for layers that could be selectively enabled or disabled for different editions or versions. Plus, putting all pages in a single PDF allows for more easily flipping from one edition/version to another by a single selection of layer globally through the publication as opposed to swapping pages in and out.

Furthermore, this single page versus multiple page PDF thing is similar to the issues of printers demanding only CMYK (+ spot) files and/or fully flattened transparency.

Printers supposedly pride themselves on being print service providers, but any printer that is tries force you to do their work (conversion of color space, flattening of transparency, dividing up the logical publication PDF file into single page PDF files) is hardly offering any real service at all.

Something to think about when choosing a printer. There are plenty of very hungry printers these days with all sorts of excess capacity. It is time to hold them accountable for use of 21st century workflows as opposed to making you conform to obsolete print publishing workflows from the previous century.

(Yeah, I do have very strong opinions on this! )

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC doesnt automatically jump to the range field when saving seperate files. CS6 did it. That is the reason i came looking for support, or an action to do such.

I think that someone that views their end product as static will continue to wonder why anyone would have a need for seperate pages from one file.

Some of my work in one Indesign file may have a linked psd/ai/pdf in it with different essential layers turned on/off. Those essential pages are used for proofing, litigation, presentation, options, etc. and etc.

Many times it is easier to export as all independet pages, then drag together needed multiple pages into Acrobat.

A printer may have similar needs. like mixed material books, full bleed pages, etc.

To think of a printer service bureau as a one shot product is old thinking and splitting pages is essential.

I save books/docs/etc as multi-page docs many times as well, so i am not a hater of that feature either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here for an answer to this question and reading the responses is naking my eyes bleed. I'm gonna have a beer instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is admittedly... complicated. Ultimately the answer is yes, but involves solutions that aren't standard in InDesign; and the actual reason for doing so is disputed amongst users (including me) but nevertheless it can be done. Have a read of this post http://colecandoo.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/breaking-up-is-hard-to-do-indesign-files-into-individual-... for the actual how-tos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years on, there is now an answer that is ALMOST in sight. In fact, it DOES WORK, PROVIDED you don't mind an error message at the end (the error infers that "there are no more records to go but I think there are"). See this post on the Adobe Scripting Forum: ID CC2015 (MacOSX 10.9.5) Data Merge splitting script - "Data is out of range"... for the first 99 r...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread will never die, but I need to pipe in and say that I work for a newspaper manufacturer, and we have a workflow that requires separate pdf files for each page in order to drop into the ripping program.  Just because none of you personally have come across a vender that requires separate page pdf files, doesn't mean they don't exist.  Newspapers have some pages complete in advance before others, and we need to process, say the comics section, way sooner than the frontpage.  This requires a workflow where separate pdf files are paramount. 

Weather or not this is an "ideal" workflow or not, if InDesign had the option to export pages into separate pdf files, it would save our company a LOT of time.  Thankfully Acrobat does this and we don't have to click file>export>page range for each and every page.

I'd like to think that if a program had more options for several variations of workflow, it would be a moot point if some of those workflows were allegedly less than ideal.  Corporations are cheap, and will not upgrade their software until it breaks the system and is economical for the company budget.  Meaning that the more diverse our modern software becomes, the more we can compensate for 'bad workflows' out there in the world.  Being just one little pee-on in my company, there's not a chance in hell I would be able to go up to my boss's boss and say "Erm, excuse me sir, but your workflow needs to be changed and we need to update all of these computers and software, and we need a completely new system because I'm not able to export a multipage pdf in InDesign." 

I'll give you one guess who'd be cleaning out their desk that evening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a screwdriver won’t tighten a bolt, you grab a wrench.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either install a script or buy some kind of 3rd party plugins, like those from Zevrix Output Factory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thankfully Acrobat does this and we don't have to click file>export>page range for each and every page.

Right, it's very easy to do it from the print production side—the designer shouldn't be required to solve an imposition workflow problem. Single page PDF export scripts are free and easy to get, but i still don't want to provide 32 PDFs to my printer for 32 page document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines