• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this an Indesign 2021 bug?

Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to Indesign 2021 (and yes, I have the most recent version) I keep getting messages saying that the file I am working on is damaged and can't be saved. Indesign then quits. I've attached the most recent screenshot. I still have Indesign 2020, and this never happens. This happens to all kinds of files. I mostly design and layout books of varying complexity, but this seems to happen to even the simplest of files.

I am on a Mac running OS 10.14.6

[Attachment moved to inline image by moderator.]

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 6.09.00 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Hi All:

Does it really, truly fix the issue for good? (I'm so afraid of losing more  work!)

I just want to point out that your Error Code 3, @Gopa C, is a different message than the one in the Reddit thread that @semgerb37 linked to. Rebuilding cache/preferences may help here—it's worth a try. Here is the link from @semgerb37's reply: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/.

Following these instructions will not impact your documents, but can straig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hard disk has 1 TB capacity, with 561 GB available. 32GB RAM. (with space for 32 more)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me ALL the time too. I thought my hard drive might be failing, but it's only happening in InDesign. I am on Windows 10. I get the damage error when I try to save a new version of a file, then when I save it again, it tells me the file is already there and it saves over it. It's driving me nuts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it only happens to me in Indesign 2021. Not in Indesign 2020. My computer is only a year-and-a-bit old and has tons of space on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just started happening to me too with the last update to InDesign CC2021 (16.1.20). Every file that I created in ID CC2021 is giving me this error even after letting InDesign repair the file. If I make any change (even just adding a space), the error comes back again. Unless this is fixed, I'll need to back save all my CC2021 file to CC2020. I'm also on a Mac running OS 10.14.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I am getting (I looked at your screenshot.)

I am also going back to Indesign 2020 for now.

Is anyone at Adobe listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's going to take more than a couple of us for them to pay attention. I wonder if it's the combination of the OS and the latest ID update. We are both using OS 10.14.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, connect with Adobe Support chat! Only they can help you to identify and fix this bug. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent 4 hours with Adobe Support remote connection and he wasn't able to fix the issue. It happened the day after I updated to InDesign 16.1.20 so, logically, it must has to have something to do with that and possibly with Maverick OS 10.14.6. In the meantime, I'll be saving any ID CC2021 files back to CC2020 and checking for reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for teh reply and saving me from spending all those hours with Adobe Sipport. I guess I'll just save down to 2020 as well and wait for them to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russian proverb says - "спасение утопающих, дело рук самих утопающих" ( If you’re drowning, you’re on your own ). I don't think so that Adobe support will be know anything if you not show them that. If you want to have a fix of a bug — show them this bug! 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted it on their bug page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gopa C: I posted the issue to Reddit's InDesign forum and here is the simple answer to our problem. I wish I had posted it before I spent 4 hours with Adobe support! This will change any preferences you have set up, so you'll need to reset those when you open each of your InDesign versions. I rebuilt the preferences manually through the user/~library (as shown for Mac) and also rebuilt the cache files (as shown for Mac). Here's the conversion on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/indesign/comments/lkk225/id_cc_latest_update_to_16120_errors/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it really, truly fix the issue for good? (I'm so afraid of losing more  work!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I competely understand your hesitancy to make the change! I was a little nervous about it myself. I've checked all the files I have that were created in ID 2021 that weren't working before and now they are working fine. I kept a copy of the old preference and old cache folders, just in case. As long as you make a copy of your InDesign files, you should be fine. No guarantees it will work forever but at least we'll know what to do if it happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

I just want to point out that your Error Code 3, @Gopa C, is a different message than the one in the Reddit thread that @semgerb37 linked to. Rebuilding cache/preferences may help here—it's worth a try. Here is the link from @semgerb37's reply: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/.

Following these instructions will not impact your documents, but can straighten out issues in the software that will arise when these system files become corrupt over time. If you read the post carefully before you start, you will notice that you can either delete these files or simply rename them (or move them), which is a safer option, if you have any concerns. You can always restore the old files if it doesn't help. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!

I should have posted other screen shots as well. Some of them say something different, to the effect of, "This document is corrupt and we can't fix it." Then Indesign quits unceremoniously, usually before I've had a chance to do a screen short or even read the text properly

For now I've followed the instructions and reset the preferences and cache but have anyway gone back to working in Indesign 2020 until I have the courage to face more disruption!

What I have managed to do is to tell Adobe what's happening when the crash report dialog box pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gopa C:

Best I can tell, if you made it through the end of the post, you should be good to go with 2021. But I totally understand your reticence to give it a try. None of us want anything to slow us down when we are under deadline. 2020 is certainly a good option.

Sounds like you must have submitted a crash report to Adobe? You can also log a bug report here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/. If you return here with the link to your report, then others who find this thread when they are having the same problem will be able to vote it up quickly.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb, Just wanted to tell you I sort of gingerly started using Indesign 2021 again having reset cache and preferences as you advised. All seems to be well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines