• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is voice to text available as a Plug In to InCopy

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going forward, it would be nice to increase our years of avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome by typing less, using a dictatation app. 

Can we get anything to have voice to text directly into InCopy or InDesign? Is this available? A plug in? Could a script be written for this? I would prefer to type directly into InCopy, using a voice dictation program. I really don't want to use Apple Dictation, just to convert it to a Word.doc to Place, as it seems as anything in a Word.doc leaves me open to formatting problems later on in InDesign. 

Or, can folks give me their experience with the following procedure?  If I end up with a Word.doc, just with basic text, not even subtitles, or italics, or anything, only 12 pt. New Times Roman regular, for example,  and I use the Place function in InDesign or InCopy with Remove all Formatting, will that  leave me with reliable text to use in InDesign? And not have formatting glitches? 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

You can use Apple Dictation directly into an Indesign document, it doesn't need to go to Word. Insert your cursor into a text frame with paragraph style applied, press your fn key twice, speak, and text is entered and applied the style. This is not going to format a subhead mingled within.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best to clean up your Word document a bit before placing it in InDesign. You can use the Word Import Option feature to keep formatting.

InDesign new feature suggestions should be posted at: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Apple Dictation directly into an Indesign document, it doesn't need to go to Word. Insert your cursor into a text frame with paragraph style applied, press your fn key twice, speak, and text is entered and applied the style. This is not going to format a subhead mingled within.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for letting us know. I'll try it. That is excellent news! Yes, we must still go back and format subheads, etc, but being able to avoid all that typing is great, and avoid even worrying about Word glitches.  Creating text right in InDesign is great. (I still added a feature request as Mr. Cross suggested.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey_Smith,

Is there a solution for Android users? I don't have an iPhone but I do have a MacMini. But I am looking to use this with my smartphone, not desktop computer. Thanks!

Dante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi jeffery,

Do you happen to know, or anyone for that matter, if there is a windows voice to text thatis supported by adobe?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is more than you wanted to know:

"When you dictate text, what you say is sent to Apple to be converted to text. To help your Mac recognize what you're saying, other information is sent as well, such as the names of your contacts." Yikes.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to voice-to-text to replace typing, I am wondering if anyone knows of an indd plug-in or software that would allow for voice for commands. I work hours and hours each day in indd, photoshop, and illustrator, and I definitely notice my hands getting tired some days. It would be so much easier to have the option to speak commands, like "format menu: cut" (or "comand X" in that case) etc., then to have to click on the menu options or type the keyboard shortcuts. I recognize I would still need to use the mouse a lot, but having even a small percentage of my handwork switched to verbal would be beneficial. And with so many freelancers working from home now, they can talk without disturbing other people. I imagine AI will soon enough be built into this type of software, anyway, but is there anything like that available now? (And if it is of help for anyone to know, there are foot pedals for mouse clicking that sometimes help give your hands a rest. I use mine when I feel my hands are getting tired.) Also, since it was discussed in this post re copying/pasting w/ and without formatting, I actually find "Plain Text Copy" incredibly helpful in terms of swapping between copying and pasting with formatting or without formatting, so it's a set-and-forget, until you want to change it.

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/plain-text-copy/id1297888715?ign-mpt=uo%3D2&mt=12&utm_campaign=Feed%3A...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a fully ergonomic station? Or are you working on a laptop?

I find the trend of people doing what we do on the abysmal ergo of a laptop to be... mystifying and appalling. But I guess fatigue, backache and CTS are small prices for "portability."

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines