• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue exporting PDF for Amazon KDP

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully exported a manuscript in KDP. We made some changes to it, and now when I upload the manuscript, I keep getting upload error messages in KDP. The reps at KDP can't figure out why, but they did say the document needs to be flattened. I "thought" it was flattened when I exported it using Adobe Presets, but the previous versions uploaded fine without being flattened. Has anyone here had success exporting paperback PDFs from InDesign? The book has a lot of photography, so I've been using Press Quality rather than PDF/x-1a, although I did use that setting a few times and still had upload failure. KDP says it will be two days before they get back with an answer, and we have already scheduled the book launch since the book is live with the previous version and we obviously weren't expecting this to happen. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try PDF/X-4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least please tell us the exact error messages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, flattening damages quality so it certainly isn’t the default! Though ancient standards like PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 do forbid transparency which forces flattening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is cockroaches in the mind of Amazon support. You're need to find and ask this question on the some Amazon writers forum. And wait an answer from them. 

>> Though ancient standards like PDF/X-1a

Yep, try this. But don't forget that all transparency will be killed into hundreds of image piece. Check by your eyes looking of your PDF before send your PDF to Amazon.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202169030 - by the way on this link we see

For the best results, all images should be sized at 100%, flattened to one layer, and inserted into your manuscript file at a minimum resolution of 300 DPI (dots per inch).

May be "Amazon" want to say that your file have many PDF-layers?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By flatten they mean transparency not layers. PDF/X-1a flattens transparency and converts all color to CMYK—Press Quality leaves transparency live. It is common for online printers, where the print flow is automated, to request PDF/X-1a.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/x-1a, although I did use that setting a few times and still had upload failure.

Are you using the default PDF/X-1a preset or have you made changes? Have you double checked that the trim and bleed of all the pages meet their dimension requirements? An InDesign document can have different, custom page sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same experience this week. JoanDavies, how did you resolve the issue? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you exporting with the PDF/X-1a preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines