Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue seeing images resize in live

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I used to work with an older version of InDesign. When I would resize an image, or move it within a frame, I could see the actual image grow, shrink or move while doing it - which was very useful. In the new version, when I resize or move an image it only shows me the borders, with the image looking the same until I let go the mouse and then the image jumps from its old placement/size to the new one. You don't actually see what your reframing/moving does to the image while repositioning it. Am I doing somehtign wrong? Is there something I can do so that I can see the image evolve while doing this action?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Nothing has changed: either check your preferences as shown in the screen shot below

Capture d’écran 2020-09-25 à 20.59.07.jpg

but I would not recommand this option. Better choice is to wait a few seconds before moving or resizing the image and you will see the image moving and/or resizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed: either check your preferences as shown in the screen shot below

Capture d’écran 2020-09-25 à 20.59.07.jpg

but I would not recommand this option. Better choice is to wait a few seconds before moving or resizing the image and you will see the image moving and/or resizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much - that's exactly what I was looking for!

Why don't you recommend it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a question of timing. I demo'd the two options, below.

In the first, I move my mouse as I press down my mouse button—you see the outline. In the second, I hold the mouse button down and count to two, then move my mouse—you can see the actual image. 

timing.gif

'

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that!

What's the advantage of setting the preferences to "delayed" live screen drawing, where I hold down the mouse 2 seconds before moving it, as opposed to the "immediate" version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because setting the preferences to “immediate” create problems. It often slows down InDesign because InDesign has to redraw dynamically the preview each time you make a modification on the page. If you choose “delayed” you have the choice to see the move or not, depending on you wait a few seconds or not before you move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc-Edouard:

I'm not aware of any issues setting the preference – let's let JMLevy weigh in on his statement–but I just don't bother with that preference. I can decide on the fly which one I want, so that's how I've always handled it, starting way back in PageMaker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines