Highlighted

It is possible to rename a batch of files with a list of new captions?

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nearly two hundred of graphs in format PDF, just numbered 1, 2, 3.

Also I have a list of the real names of these graphs ( 1. Ranges of fever; 2. Date of death, etc)

I think that changing to the real name  will allow to use the caption set up resource in Indesign and automatically solve the problem of rename. The idea is rename the file, not change the heading.

Thanks

The original document is a Word file and it is required to export to PDF to preserve the data (maths, formulas, etc). 

And we may have single PDFs pieces from that big PDF.

Topics

How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

It is possible to rename a batch of files with a list of new captions?

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nearly two hundred of graphs in format PDF, just numbered 1, 2, 3.

Also I have a list of the real names of these graphs ( 1. Ranges of fever; 2. Date of death, etc)

I think that changing to the real name  will allow to use the caption set up resource in Indesign and automatically solve the problem of rename. The idea is rename the file, not change the heading.

Thanks

The original document is a Word file and it is required to export to PDF to preserve the data (maths, formulas, etc). 

And we may have single PDFs pieces from that big PDF.

Topics

How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, you want to rename the file's name on your hard drive--is that correct?

You did not say if you were on Mac or Windows.

Here is a utility: http://www.filerenamer.net/

Or you can google "rename files based on excel list on [Macintosh | Windows]" to get some do-it-yourself scripting options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes rename the file. It will be a single PDF file.

Once each single file has the real name the caption menu will be applied and rename one by one will be avoided.

thanks

Mac OS Catalina / Indesign 2020

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this app seems not have the possibility of use a list of names to rename files.

At the end of this thread is mentioned another one that accomplishes the task proposed.

Thanks. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. What should be possible:

Scripting of the XMP data with e.g. the Description field and to use its contents as auto caption.

For that Adobe Bridge would be OK.

I would not rename the files, because the titles of the graphs could contain characters that are not wise to use for file names. E.g. the pipe character | that is allowed for file names on Mac OS X, but not on Windows.

On the other hand:

If you have a list of file names in one table column and the associated titles of the files in another table column you could do static captions with your placed PDFs as grouped objects. Then you could easily tell for every group the graphic, its link and the file name of the link.

Then look up your list, identify the file name, identify the title, with that go to the text frame of the group and exchange its current contents with the title contents in the list.

No wizadry with XMP data needed. No need for renaming the files.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last comment about doing static captions was meant as algorithm for scripting, of course…

If you did not already place the graphs, placing the graphs by script would be the way to go. Then its obvious what caption must accompany what placed graph. Just load your list in one big associative array for reference.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, thanks.

Let me try or show an example.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might provide more flexibility to go with the XMP option in the event that one or more of the captions needs editing after the graphics are placed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ube,

Today I knew that an app may rename files if a text list is provided *

Hope mentioning it is not free advertising.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.23.12 PM.png

*https://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/index.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines