Highlighted

Jpeg imports to Indesign reducing to 72 PPI

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there is a preference that I can't locate that is changing my jpgs, which are at 300 PPI  in Photoshop to 72 PPI when I import to InDesign.  I'm trying to have a document ready for printing, and the 72 renders it not printable - with any quality that is.

Any help would be appriciated. 

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Jpeg imports to Indesign reducing to 72 PPI

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there is a preference that I can't locate that is changing my jpgs, which are at 300 PPI  in Photoshop to 72 PPI when I import to InDesign.  I'm trying to have a document ready for printing, and the 72 renders it not printable - with any quality that is.

Any help would be appriciated. 

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you see the 72ppi? In the Link Panel? There you should look for the effective resolution.

If the image is not scaled it brings the original resolution. (When you import them, place them as linked RGB images!)

If you mean the preview, turn own the High Quality Preview.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using  Save for Web or Export As to save your JPEGs in Photoshop the output and resolution metadata gets stripped and InDesign uses 72ppi as the actual resolution. Either use Save As JPEG, or save as PSD—there really isn’t any reason to place JPEGs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up saving the files at TiFfs, which would support CMYK and keep the resolution I wanted.  Thanks all for your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
rob day LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD also supports CMYK, but it normally is more convenient to place RGB PSDs and make the conversion to CMYK when you export the print PDF. You can do that in the Export Output tab by setting the Destination to the desired CMYK profile—Photoshop and InDesign use the same color management for color conversions.

With PSDs you can also use Object>Object Layer Options to turn Photoshop layers on and off without editing the original.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 1