• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just one caption for multiple figures

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to place just one caption (a static caption, directly from Bridge) referred to multiple figures, in order to obtain a result like this: Fig.1 - Fig.2: "Static caption".
Currently I'm doing such a twisted operation: I place the static caption from Bridge metadata, by clicking on just one of the figures, and then manually pasting the other blank caption in which appears just the numbering (a "." that goes invisible with a proper character style - sigh...). But I don't think this is the right way to proceed, and besides this method probably compromises the automatic and sequential numbering. 
Thanks for the constant support you provide with this forum.

Regards, Rob

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Hi @Rob_German:

This is a puzzle. InDesign doesn't have a way to increment the numbers within a single paragraph style. For example, it can't produce Fig. 1–Fig. 2: using autonumbering. And it increments from the first number, it can't pick up from the second, if you try to force it.

The easiest option might be to generate 2 static captions—one for each figure—with the metadata set to collect "xyz (1 of 2)" and "xyz (2 of 2)" and then auto-number them. 

Fig. 1: xyz (1 of 2)

Fig 2: xyz (2 of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Rob_German:

This is a puzzle. InDesign doesn't have a way to increment the numbers within a single paragraph style. For example, it can't produce Fig. 1–Fig. 2: using autonumbering. And it increments from the first number, it can't pick up from the second, if you try to force it.

The easiest option might be to generate 2 static captions—one for each figure—with the metadata set to collect "xyz (1 of 2)" and "xyz (2 of 2)" and then auto-number them. 

Fig. 1: xyz (1 of 2)

Fig 2: xyz (2 of 2)

That's all I can think of, working within InDesign's feature set. That said, scripting can accomplish all sorts of things that InDesign can't do on its own, so I'll add the scripting tag to your question. Maybe someone else has another solution for you.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines