Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

KDP Print will not recognize my InDesign graphic with bleed settings

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a 5.5 X 8.5 paper back book I want to print at KDP. I'm using InDesign 2021 and Ilustrator 2021. The margins I have set for it are .65 for Top, Edge, and Bottom, and .75 for gutter area. I have two separate facing pages (to look like one big picture) with graphics that I want to extend to the border/edges and I've added grey gradient to the edges. I've tried a zillion different combinations and I still get an error message that 1) "the image is outside the margins" and 2) "the object is outside the margins."

Here are the things I've done, so maybe someone can find the error I'm making:

I start with a graphic I've designed in Illustrator. In illustrator, I have an artboard set with the bleed to 5.625 (5.5 + 0.125) X 8.75 (8.5+0.125). I've added the grouped artwork to a rectangle (on top of the artboard and same dimensions) with gradient (grey on edges). I don't know if the amount of gradient matters but it they appear to be at least a light grey (C=21 M=16 Y=16 K=0; 20.99%, 15.95, 16.28, 0), and some areas a dark grey (C=75 M=68 Y=67 K=15; 64.09%, 50.99, 55.5, 31.44). Then I grouped all the artwork. I don't know if there's a way to lock them together other then select around them and hit group. I also don't "lock" each layer. Should I?

Then I add these two page-wide graphics to the particular pages of the InDesign book after I've saved them various ways. I've tried adding the graphics as pngs (with and without artboard as far as I can tell; the artboard always goes wonky and I don't think it carries over to the InDesign page when I copy/paste). I've also tried place and paste in place with a pdf version (which I didn't include bleed in illustrator print settings). I've also tried adding it to a rectangle frame I extended to bleed margins (5.625 X 8.75). I'm not sure if the graphic is centered. I move it until I get the pink guides forming a cross in the middle.

My document settings in InDesign are 5.5 X 8.5. I set the bleed to 0.125, and when I go to export the entire document at High Quality Print, w/ pages, I check the box to include document's bleed settings and it shows the 0.125 bleed for all areas. I've also just tried adding bleed directly in boxes to no avail.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out, or at least this worked:

1. Adjust layout for pages with graphics - set margins to 0 all around, add bleed to 0.125 all around. Graphics do extend all the way to bleed lines but not beyond. In print options, click box for use document bleed settings when export for pdf.

2. Make sure click "Bleed (pdf)" in bleed settings of KDP set up! (I think this was the main culprit.) 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines