Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep with next in ebook not working

Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to create an ebook in InDesign which is a heavy text-oriented book with lots of headers.

This is a known issue I feel. My client wants all his headers to follow the text in the reflowable ebook. The default option Keep with next doesn't seem to work in ebooks. Logically, it's really annoying if we see hanging headers when you read an ebook.

I never found a solution to this before. Could anyone suggest what can be done in such cases, headers and text are the heart of this book. 

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

It is for epub only. Luckily, I happen to found a workaround.

Used in CSS

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
page-break-inside: avoid;
page-break-after: avoid;

}

This seems to hold the headers and the following text together. Hopefully works across all the systems.

Thank you for taking time into looking into this.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some CSS no break tricks but you will NEVER get a reflowable epub to behave exactly how you want it to on every single device. Remember, the reader has full control over fonts and size so it's virtually impossible to assure that certain text will stay with the text before or after it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have a ToC that gives that effect:

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.06.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I have explained the same when I got this request. But, they saw some ebooks looking perfect with all headers and wanted the workaround to be used in my book.

Do you happen to know any workarounds for this? 

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term eBooks is the generic name for all kinds of digital publications – there are a number of formats, each has advantages (features) and disadvantages.  The main ones are, FXL ePubs, Reflowable ePubs, mobi, InDesign's Publish Online, and PDF and those responsive publications produced via InDesign and in5. Your customer will need to decide which features s/he needs and maybe decide to pay for you to supply the publication is several formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for epub only. Luckily, I happen to found a workaround.

Used in CSS

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
page-break-inside: avoid;
page-break-after: avoid;

}

This seems to hold the headers and the following text together. Hopefully works across all the systems.

Thank you for taking time into looking into this.

Thanks and Regards

Eswari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the CSS I was referring to, but there will still be occasions where it will fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That seems to be true. But, with the current ebook, I am working on currently, it worked for more headers. This book got a lot of headers. Will put forth the concern while delivering the ebook. Hopefully, the client understands the technicality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines