• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping layer assignments

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years, I have developed the habit of assigning layers in order of appearance blue - base, psd; red -vector; lt. green - copy; lt blue -heads; purple - guides, etc., etc. Is there a way that I can keep those layer assignments so when I create a new file, the layers are already named. Kinda OC I guess, but would be nice.

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Create a file which is a template containing those layer assignments. This would work if you used standard sizes and saved a file for each size. Then choose File > Save As  and save in the InDesign Template (.indt) format. When starting a new file open the template (.indt) file, and you're ready to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a file which is a template containing those layer assignments. This would work if you used standard sizes and saved a file for each size. Then choose File > Save As  and save in the InDesign Template (.indt) format. When starting a new file open the template (.indt) file, and you're ready to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also create a file (no matters the format), create the layers you need and draw a frame on the pasteboard, duplicate it on all layers. Then select all and export this a a snippet. If you import this snippet on any file, the layers structure will be created (if this option is checked in the layers panel)

Capture d’écran 2020-06-20 à 12.53.02.jpg

Or better, use this script

#target indesign

app.activeDocument.layers.add ({name: 'Your layer name', layerColor: UIColors.TEAL});
app.activeDocument.layers.add ({name: 'Your layer name', layerColor: UIColors.DARK_GREEN});
app.activeDocument.layers.add ({name: 'Your layer name', layerColor: UIColors.RED});
app.activeDocument.layers.add ({name: 'Your layer name', layerColor: UIColors.GRAY});
app.activeDocument.layers.add ({name: 'Your layer name', layerColor: UIColors.GREEN});
app.activeDocument.layers.item('Layer 1').remove(); 

Just change the layers name and the UI color. The first layer in the list will be the bottom layer in the document 

I did not write this script (I just customized it according to my needs) and I do not remember where I got it, apologies to the author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines